Can I replace my physical keyboard layout?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexlinap23, Apr 22, 2016.

1. alexlinap23 macrumors newbie

Greetings guys,

I'm using a macbook pro retina 13in early 2015 with chinese keyboard layout, which I think looks too complicated. And I'd like to have a clean keyboard layout.
    Since I'm going to the States for a few weeks in July, is it possible that I go to Apple Store and ask for a english only keyboard replacement? I don't mind if they charge me.

Alex

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

I doubt very much they perform keyboard-only replacements. The keyboard is glued together with the top case, battery, and trackpad, so you'd most likely need to pay for a replacement of that whole unit if anything.

3. r6mile macrumors 6502

Can you not just put US keyboard stickers on top of your chinese ones? Anything else will be prohibitively expensive.

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

Even if you could get someone to replace only the keyboard, it's likely some of the physical keys are of a different shape between the Chinese and US layout, in which case the US keys won't fit the cutouts in your top case. I'm not too familiar with the Chinese keyboard, so I don't know if this is the case.

The suggestion above is really the best option.

5. Coldmode macrumors regular

The only solution that the Apple Store will offer you is the replacement of your entire top case. You can probably buy replacement keys and install them yourself, but replacing scissor laptop keys can be tricky.