Can I replace stolen iPhone 3GS with my sister's old 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by NYCCat, Oct 27, 2010.

1. NYCCat macrumors newbie

So my iPhone 3GS was stolen from me over the weekend (I was mugged). I reported the theft to the NYPD, who gave me little hope for recovering my phone. I called ATT to report it and they suspended my account until I can get the phone replaced. I'm not eligible for "upgrade pricing" of $199 until July 2011, so my only option with ATT is to buy a new iPhone ranging anywhere from a refurb 8gb 3GS for $199 to a new iPhone 4 for $499. I'm unemployed right now and funds are tight.

My sister has her old 3G that she kept when she got a new phone. She administers her company's phone plan. She says I can take it to an ATT retail store, tell them I reported my iPhone as stolen, and they will allow me to use the 3G she is sending me to replace my stolen phone. She says they will just put a new SIM card in it. She says she has done this several times with her employees' phones and even her own phone. She assures me it can be done.

This almost sounds too good to be true, but could it be true? Anyone else been able to do this? I'm going to call ATT in the morning, but just wanted to see if anyone here has even heard of this possibility.

2. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-gb; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.2.0.26.MB200.T-Mobile.en.US Flex/P021) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

I dont see why not. She owns the phone, and you have a plan.

3. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

its true. dude your gettin an iPhone!

the same works with the guy who stole your iPhone. he can put his sim in it and it will work! regardless of any plan.