Can I replace the MacBook Pro keyboard keys?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by screamieri, Jul 20, 2013.

1. screamieri macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I wanted to know if it were possible to have someone replace the macbook pro keyboard keys, even at an official Apple Store.

I'm very careful when it comes to hardware and I like to keep things working and clean. Suffices to say that I use a Moshi palmguard form the trackpad and the palm rest, as well as a Speck cover and a screen protector on the MacBook.

Thing is that I've also tried using the keyboard film from Moshi and while it protects the keys very well from dust and everything else, it also makes working and writing sort of a pain. It's a bit harder to press keys and it ultimately makes the writing experience worse.

I'm concerned that the keys might get ruined from daily use (like becoming lucid and making the letters and numbers a bit blurred out). So I was wondering if it was possible in the future for me to have the keys completely replaced with other official keys, maybe even at an Apple Store.

Thanks in advance

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The keys aren't printed, the letter is simply clear-ish plastic so as to let the backlight show through. They will never get blurred or erased.

The texture may become smoother with age, but that's about it.

3. scbond macrumors 6502

They will get shiny very easily...I usually start to notice the very early stages of it after about a week but I'm OCD like that lol. I've read on here that a this micro-abrasive white sponges (Magic Eraser made by Proctor & Gamble in North America, still on eBay around the world) are quite good at partially reversing the effects but not tried it myself.

The keyboard can be physically replaced as a whole but Apple will charge a lot to do this. Shouldn't be too difficult to do yourself but would more than likely void your warranty so I wouldn't attempt it until the warranty has finished.