Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8pics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
I just got a new imac, and used migration assist and TM for restoring everything from the old machine.
Now i got two admin accounts.
Is it possible to delete the one that was a clean install without my old data, and just keep the migrationed account where now all my old stuff is?
Will this cause any conflicts, or does it have any downsides, or will it be all the same as long as it is a Admin account?
Any other traps i should look out for?

Originally i wanted to do a clean install and restore all from TM during the install trough recovery mode, but the last available backup was from the day before, and not the day after, which is the actual last one.
Why is that?
When i skipped install/restore from TM directly, and used migration assist, then the most recent backup showed up.
Is it not possible to access that same backup from a clean install trough recovery mode? If not, why?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Is it possible to delete the one that was a clean install without my old data, and just keep the migrationed account where now all my old stuff is?

Yes, in System Preferences. Upon deleting an account, you can choose to keep the user directory if you want (if there is anything you need in there).

Originally i wanted to do a clean install and restore all from TM during the install trough recovery mode, but the last available backup was from the day before, and not the day after, which is the actual last one.
Why is that?
When i skipped install/restore from TM directly, and used migration assist, then the most recent backup showed up.
Is it not possible to access that same backup from a clean install trough recovery mode? If not, why?

Restoring from Time Machine is never a clean installation. When you are doing a restoration after a clean installation, you are replacing the system with a Time Machine snapshot, effectively undoing the clean installation. If you want to restore from Time Machine, you restore. If you want to cut all ties, you do a clean install. If you want to set up a new Mac in a clean installation, then you use Migration/Setup Assistant to import your data (from Time Machine or otherwise).

I don’t know why it wasn’t available. Maybe the backup was not complete.

gr8pics

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2008
Yes, in System Preferences. Upon deleting an account, you can choose to keep the user directory if you want (if there is anything you need in there).

Restoring from Time Machine is never a clean installation. When you are doing a restoration after a clean installation, you are replacing the system with a Time Machine snapshot, effectively undoing the clean installation. If you want to restore from Time Machine, you restore. If you want to cut all ties, you do a clean install. If you want to set up a new Mac in a clean installation, then you use Migration/Setup Assistant to import your data (from Time Machine or otherwise).

I don’t know why it wasn’t available. Maybe the backup was not complete.

I think you misunderstood.
I know how to delete the user accounct, my question was if replacing the original admin with another would cause any conflicts.

I also know a restore from TM is not a clean install, but since its not possible to choose individually what to restore trough Migration, i didnt have any choice.
The 4 options for migration is very diffuse and gives no explanation what is actually copied back, other than postgresql and home, and not what it contains...

Anyway, deleted the "clean" account, and kept the old one.
Whats currently the best Mac cleaner for fixing registry files, leftovers from uninstalls etc?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Whats currently the best Mac cleaner for fixing registry files, leftovers from uninstalls etc?

None. In my experience, such an effort is useless for the most part and I generally discourage anyone from using automated ‘cleaners’. If you think that some significant amount of space is wasted by leftovers, then you should check out the Library directory in your home directory and have a look at some larger files/folders. By design, applications will leave behind some data.

I think you misunderstood.
I know how to delete the user accounct, my question was if replacing the original admin with another would cause any conflicts.

I did understand your question, but there is nothing to say about it. If there are some launch scripts that require this user account, they will simply fail. Leftover files that are still owned by the user will not be deleted, they can simply be reclaimed. You will not lose or break anything. Choosing to delete the user directory is optional.

I also know a restore from TM is not a clean install, but since its not possible to choose individually what to restore trough Migration, i didnt have any choice.
The 4 options for migration is very diffuse and gives no explanation what is actually copied back, other than postgresql and home, and not what it contains...?

Roughly, the options correspond to locations on the system: individual user directories (in /Users), the applications directory (/Applications), the shared user directory, local /Library directory and some other configuration files in the Unix directories. The choices are really not that interesting. You almost always want to select everything.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Macs don't have registry files exactly like Windows does. Most cleaning functions are handled by the OS and you really don't need a "cleaning" app. Stay away from Clean My Mac unless you know how to make it do exactly what you want. MacKeeper is another one to avoid. You can search here for users who've had problems with both of those. If you just have to use a utility, try Onyx for your OS version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.