Can I rerun setup assistant without reinstalling 10.6 server?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by mox123, Jan 7, 2010.

1. mox123 macrumors 6502

I am a newbie to running a server, and I think i have messed up the configuration of my mini after trying to play with setting up a mail server....now my machine can't connect to internet at all.

Please Help? :confused:

2. Alrescha macrumors 68020

In /var/db, there is a file called .AppleSetupDone -- if you delete it and reboot, OS X will rerun the Setup Assistant.

Note that existing configurations don't necessarily get erased - you may end up with an unstable system. Your LDAP database may be confused, you might get bad karma.

Once you are done playing, I would recommend a reinstall of the OS and configuration with your new knowledge.

A.

3. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you! Running a server is not as easy as Apple makes it out to be.. :rolleyes:

4. northernbaldy macrumors 6502a

northernbaldy

let us know how you get on
    I'm in a similar position after screwing up the DNS

oh well, we learn by our mistakes

5. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just gave up in the end and reinstalled OS from scratch....

This time everything seems to work fine, except server admin now takes forever to load after a few days of bliss

as long as the website is working fine, i think i will just let it be for a while

now i am trying to figure out how to make a podcast with podcast capture and podcast producer...:rolleyes:

6. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

When I first got my Mini Server I must have reinstalled about 10-15 times during the first week alone. It has been running well now for over a month but the first couple weeks presented what for me was a big change from Windows Server 2003. Maybe it had just been that long since I really had to do any configuration of any server but it was a big learning curve since I had not dealt with any *nix variant in a server setting.

7. mox123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Indeed. There is a huge gap between the ease of use of regular OSX versus their server edition. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I have been misled by Apple; i am sure OSX server is probably still easier to manage than the windows or true UNIX (without the pretty GUI) counterparts....

8. Abacab macrumors member

Split DNS?

Folks,
    I am in the same boat. I have a Mini with my public going to the eithernet, and a USB /eithernet going to a bridged timecapsule on the private side.
    Server admin RUNS SLOOOW from within my lan, but OK from outside.
    Also in the auto config I named the machine 'server" but to connect it only
    recognizes the domain name (ex, sudore.net, not server.sudore.net)
    Can this be the cause and will it screw up my DNS if I manually change?
    Any help is appreciated.
    FS