Can I resell my copy of Final Cut Studio 2?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cjkimber, Jan 11, 2011.

1. cjkimber macrumors newbie

I no longer use my copy of final cut studio 2 and am looking to sell it on Ebay. Can this done with regards to serial numbers? I looked for a 'deactivate serial number' feature but cant seem to find it?

Thanks,

Chris

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm pretty sure you can, for it to be Legal, I think you just have to uninstall the software from your computer, but you would have to actually read the EULA to be sure about it being legal or not.

3. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Also, if you bought it using an Apple Educational Discount, it isnt legal to resell it at all, because you wouldve got it for a lot less than it actually costs.

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

The EULA does NOT matter for this. At all. What matters are the laws of the country where the software is going to be sold.

If you're going to sell the software, then uninstall it from your computer(s) and make sure that the package is complete: Installation media, the original EULA and the license keys. If you still have it, also add the original invoice.

Also make sure that the new buyer KNOWS that he is buying "used" software and that this is a license transfer.

5. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Completely wrong.

Apple cannot forbid you to re-sell software (at least not in Europe and other parts of the world), but the original licensing terms that came with the software still apply to the new buyer. In other words: An "educational" version will still be an educational version and cannot be used by a company for commercial purposes. But that the software was sold with a rebate does not affect whether it can be resold or not.

6. TheXIIIth macrumors member

If Apple is anything like Adobe and assuming you've already registered it -

You have to contact them [Apple] directly to un-register your license then fill out a few forms to start the transfer of registration/product license to the person you're selling it to.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Actually it states ON PURCHASE and you have to agree to it before gaining access to the software ANYWHERE in the world. You are wrong, not me. - You cant transfer the products you purchase with an educational discount, at least if you purchased it online (its a checkbox, but still) - its a contract formed as part of the transaction which forbids you from selling it, not the license agreement.

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

According to MS's licensing, you can't resell their OEM software (in fact if your motherboard dies MS say you have to buy a new copy to install Windows on the repaired PC). But in many countries (like Germany), the courts have ruled companies aren't allowed make this stipulation in their licenses.

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Ahh, but Apples method of doing it is in a pre-sale contract regarding the discount. If you want to resell it you need to purchase it without the discount. As far as Im aware that is still legal in Germany, its certainly legal in the US and the UK.