Can I resell my Mac OSX Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by xMBPx, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMBPx macrumors regular

I recently got a macbook pro, so I am selling my old macbook.

I wiped the drive, and then installed a fresh copy of Mac OSX Leopard onto it.

I've got it for sale right now on ebay, so my question is can I resell the Mac OSX leopard as well?

I bought it separate from the macbook. It is the retail one that comes in the black box.

Thanks!:D

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you take Leopard off of the laptop that you're selling, then you can resell it separately.

Personally, I would never buy a laptop from eBay that came loaded with software, but didn't included the original discs. Good luck with your auction.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it's the same disc you used to install on the MacBook you're selling, you'd be in violation of the EULA to sell it separately. It should go with the MacBook.

4. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

What is the EULA?

Are you just not supposed to or would it not work on another computer or what?

Would I be better off (money wise) to sell the macbook with the original discs installed and sell the Mac OSX install separately?

Thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

End User License Agreement.
    Yes. Use the original install discs to install Mac OS X on the MacBook and sell those together. Then sell the retail disc separately.

6. xMBPx thread starter macrumors regular

Is it just something you're not 'supposed' to do or will it cause problems?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't sell the original install discs separately, as they cannot be used on other models, while the retail version can. It only makes sense to sell the original install discs with the Mac they came with, and sell the retail disc separately.

8. stroked Suspended

stroked

The only problem it will cause, some of the the guys on here will get their panties in a wad.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Then you don't understand install discs.

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

Ok. explain it then. I really want to know too.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I already did. Read post #7.

12. stroked Suspended

stroked

You know very well what the OP was asking. You are just dodging the question.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, I'm not. The OP wanted to know how to maximize the selling proceeds. I told him how. You won't get anything trying to sell the original install discs separately, but you can if you sell the retail discs. It's really not that hard to understand, if you try.

14. stroked Suspended

stroked

He might also make more money selling his Macpro with Leopard installed, rather than Tiger. Then selling his retail copy of Leopard separately.

That is what we both UNDERSTAND

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You should really read the posts in this thread before posting things that don't make sense. The OP is selling a MacBook, not a Mac Pro, and no one said anything about Tiger, except you.

Here's the OP's question:
    Here's the answer: YES.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

One computer
    Two sets of discs

One set is the original (Tiger?)
    One set is Leopard retail

Technically, whichever set is installed on the computer should be sold with it

Since the originals cannot be used on another computer, that is the logical choice, but not the only choice

However, to sell the set that is installed on the computer separately is a violation of the EULA

If you install Leopard on the computer and sell it separately, it will work on another computer
    But it is in violation of the EULA

With that, this thread has run its course and we no longer need to bicker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.