Can I reset my admin. password?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bearcub, Mar 5, 2009.

1. bearcub macrumors newbie

I bought a computer on craigslist and I can't download certain programs because I don't have the admin. password. Is it possible to reset this w/o a start up disc which I don't have?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Google is your friend:

http://www.google.com/search?q=new+admin+account+os+x

First result should be what you are looking for. ;)

Anyway, I really think you should get the disc, they are very useful in case you need to reinstall or perform repairs on the hard drive.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Honestly, I'd buy new install discs. If the person who sold you the computer didn't provide the install discs or the admin password I would consider it suspicious. The previous owner could have installed malicious software on the machine and track all your activities including online banking.

4. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

If it was just given to you with no admin info, what account are you even using?

5. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

All you have to do is borrow some install disc from a friend. Boot while holding "option key" until a disc pops up on the selection screen (it will take a while to pop up) select it. this is called "boot from disc" at the top of the screen there will be an option to reset the password. I believe its under "utility" or something. You can try them all until you find the right one.

If you need another copy of the OEM discs, call apple. Tell them what you need, and they will send you a copy of the disc's for 18 bucks. It will be a copy of the original discs that came with the system.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Call seller for account password.

- No admin account password
    - No set up disk
    usually means STOLEN

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman