Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Hi I just did a little research about what resetting the PRAM and SMC does and I wanted to reset those on my MacBook Pro just to freshen up my Mac and see if the performance is any better. Can I do this?

Last edited:

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
I realize the PRAM reset will mess up my settings so I may just do an SMC reset.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I realize the PRAM reset will mess up my settings so I may just do an SMC reset.

If resetting the PRAM changes any settings, it would be simple things like the real time clock and the volume. I've never had it mess up anything that wasn't fixable within couple minutes.

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
If resetting the PRAM changes any settings, it would be simple things like the real time clock and the volume. I've never had it mess up anything that wasn't fixable within couple minutes.

Are you sure those are the only settings it resets?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi I just did a little research about what resetting the PRAM and SMC does and I wanted to reset those on my MacBook Pro just to freshen up my Mac and see if the performance is any better. Can I do this?
They don't "freshen up" your Mac and won't affect performance unless you have a specific issue that they address.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2012
Will resetting SMC not allow me to access my previous tabs on Google Chrome?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.