Can I restore 4.2.1 using cydia's server?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by volvic393, Jan 16, 2011.

1. volvic393 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

In terms of post count I may be a newbie but I would like to think that in practice I am certainly not a newbie at the phone hacking game! :)

However, I have a query I hope you can all help with ...

I have an iPhone4 running 4.2.1 and have my shsh blobs backed up both locally and on cydia's servers as I want to be able to restore to 4.2.1 when Apple release later versions and are no longer signing the software.

To simulate doing this I have entered the hostname entry as below and am trying to install a custom 4.2.1 ipsw using the shift / restore option in Windows:

74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

Every time, my restore fails with error: 1013 and the phone remains in recovery mode.

I have read this is normal when restoring a custom ipsw and that you should use a tool such as tiny umbrella to exit recovery mode and the phone will boot but as this is no longer working on 4.2.1 this is not an option.

Am I right in thinking that currently there is no way to restore a custom 4.2.1 ipsw whilst pointing to cydia's servers and bypassing apple's own or is there something I am not doing that I should be?

I know I can restore 4.2.1 through iTunes using Apple's own server currently but I want to be sure I can do so when they stop signing the software, hence this test.

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

You got it. Once Apple stops signing 4.2.1 and releases 4.3, your SHSH for 4.2.1 will come in handy.

For the 1013, 1604, 1015 errors like you said use TinyUmbrella to kick your iPhone out of recovery.

3. volvic393 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just trying to run an custom ipsw install of 4.2.1 at the moment to ensure I can actually do it (for when the time comes that I need to) but am getting the 1013 error constantly (when pointing to cydia servers). I'm assuming this is correct and that by this stage the software / firmware is already loaded, it's just that the phone will not start.

tinyumbrella no longer works in 4.2.1 so I am guessing I can't go any further to test this at the moment? Hopefully tinyumbrella will update asap to enable the phone to be kicked out of recovery when error 1013 shows.

So to clarify - is there no way to install a custom 4.2.1 ipsw currently without using apple's servers for the signing process?

4. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

As long as Apple is still signing the current firmware you have the custom one for you can use that. You don't need to edit the host file.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The reason you are getting an error while trying to restore through Cydia is that Cydia will sign the firmware restore but it is not capable of signing the baseband restore. Apple introduced baseband signing with the iphone 4 and any restore through cydia of an Iphone 4 will result in an error. With previous versions of firmware like 4.1 You can typically kick it out of recovery with TU but this does not work for 4.2.1.

You should restore directly from Apple.

6. volvic393 thread starter macrumors newbie

The point of this exercise is that I am trying to simulate Apple no longer signing f/w 4.2.1 - ie, when this happens I will lose my jailbreak in the event of having to restore. I need to know that I can restore to 4.2.1 even after Apple stop signing it so that I can re-jailbreak in the event of a crash.

Right, that makes sense. The problem with restoring directly from Apple is that it will update me to the latest firmware (when it's out) and at this point I will not be able to jailbreak.

Can we expect cydia servers to be updated to deal with this baseband signing or alternatively is it likely that tinyumbrella will be updated to add the ability to kick out of recovery do you think?

So it seems I was right, at the current time there is no way to restore 4.2.1 without restoring directly through Apple? Hope this changes as the iPhone without a jb is very basic in comparison!

7. djuarez03 macrumors regular

The workaround for this is to restore to a previous version of iOS (4.1 for example) if you have the SHSH blobs available, and then do a regular "Update" through iTunes to 4.2.1. You will get the 1013 error, but Tiny Umbrella will be able to kick you out of Recovery Mode from there. I just did that yesterday and it works. For whatever reason, Tiny Umbrella can still kick you out of Recovery mode if you only "update", but not when you "restore".

8. volvic393 thread starter macrumors newbie

This would be great but for two problems.

1) I don't have my blobs for 4.1 only 4.2.1

2) apple will at some point stop signing 4.2.1 through a regular update in iTunes, what then if you cannot restore a previously saved file?

I really don't think there is a solution for this.

9. ignus graius macrumors regular

From http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/2010/12/new-idevice-tool-in-progress.html (TinyUmbrella website):