Can I restore a Jailbroken phone without upgrading?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by PaHtSaN, Oct 16, 2010.

1. PaHtSaN macrumors regular

Its a 3gs on 3.1.2 with an overwhelming amount of cool stuff from cydia. The thing is I'm sending it to my friend in Russia, and I think he would prefer a non customized phone. Obviously I can't restore through iTunes because then the baseband would be upgraded and the phone won't be unlockable temporary, also I can't use "Erase all content and Settings" because like I learned before the hard way, when you do this on a jailbroken phone it ends up getting stuck on the loading apple indefinitely. Is there a third way to wipe this phone clean while maintaining the firmware and the baseband? If it delets the jailbreak thats fine, I have no problem rejailbreaking it. Thanks!

P.S. this really needs to be done right the first time, if it upgrades to 4.1 then this phone will be useless until a new ultrasn0w comes out.

2. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

3. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

Only way to to restore is through iTunes. Thats the only option I know of.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only way to restore an iphone to older firmware is if you have Shsh's saved for firmware 3.1.2 on cydias server.
    If not the only thing you can restore to is the latest 4.1 and thus losing the ability to unlock.
    Do you know if you ever saved your shsh blobs on Sauriks server if you JB your phone and clicked "make my life easier" ?

5. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, I just backed them up with TU last night.

6. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Would it be the same as a downgrade except that you hit shift+restore?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only thing you could back up last night is SHSH's for 4.1 unless you had other previous builts saved also.
    Download Tinyumbrella and see if you have any shsh backed up for any firmware before 4.1.
    Maybe 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 so you can restore to those without losing the unlockable baseband.
    http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/
    And yes you would do the shift-restore trick to select a different ipsw downloaded from the internet instead of 4.1 that itunes will want to restore/update you to.

8. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Oh....damn youre right, shsh files are only there for 4.1. I thought it saves shsh files for whatever firmware youre currently on.

Is there any way to safely erase all content and settings? Even if I sent him the phone like this, theres a password on the app store. Am I SOL?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unfortunatelly not, it only gets the SHSH's for whatever is available now. You should have done this a long time ago to have older versions shsh's saved. You can try syncing with another itunes library so it erases all your stuff along with contacts etc...
    Then go to settings/store/ and sign out of your appstore account.
    So you pretty much gotta clean it up manually cause if you restore you'd be SOL.
    Try to delete your email account if you have one, text messages etc...

10. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Thats a genius idea! I bought this phone yesterday for the sole purpose of sending it to my friend, as customized as it is, I would think the previous owner would have known to save his blobs.

Thanks man, I'll let you know how it goes.

11. PaHtSaN thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, can I even sync it as a different phone without restoring?

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes