Can I restore an HDD from a MBP early 2011 to RD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bikerc, Jun 7, 2014.

1. bikerc macrumors newbie

If I wanted to transfer all my data from a MBP 2011 to a MBP RD, do you think I could simply clone the HDD and reboot the RD? I am still using Mountain lion on the MBP.

thanks

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

I think so... How are you cloning it? If you're using Carbon Copy Cloner or something similar yeah... boot up the 2011 model into FireWire target disk mode (with the appropriate Thunderbolt adapter on the Retina display model side) and fire up CCC and do the restore vs the backup.

Another way you can do it is to to fire up Migration Assistant and follow the prompts there.

3. bikerc thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure. I was hoping I could link the two computers side by side using a thunderbolt cable.

When I do backups I clone the hard-drive using copycatx. I boot up from an usb drive that has snow leopard & copycatx and I clone the HDD to a secondary hard-drive in an usb enclosure.

Thank you for the information.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

When I did it, I did a time machine backup on the old one, and then manually copied over what I wanted onto the new one.

5. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

You won't be able to use ML on a rMBP that shipped with Mavericks.

Barney

6. bikerc thread starter macrumors newbie

I cannot install ML on a new MBP with RD?? Frack !!!!

Well, I might upgrade my old one to maverics first, and then do the cloning. I hope that would work.

7. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Rather than go thought that upgrade then clone, you can just use Migration Assistant to move your account and data from the old machine to the new. You can do that with the old machine still on ML.