Can I restore as new and stay 4.2.1?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by james92se, Mar 21, 2011.

1. james92se macrumors 6502a

Here's the problem. My sister-in-law and I both got iPad's yesterday (first gen). Both on 4.2.1

I activated my iPad on her iTunes and then promptly jailbroke it with Greenpois0n RC6 (which went flawless). Well, I didn't know this would associate my AppStore with her account and require her password when I download apps (duh, should've known better being an iPhone user or nearly 4 years now).

I came home and was just going to restore and do it all over again. Well I went to restore but I thankfully noticed before confirming the restore that it said it would restore AND update it to the newest firmware. I assume this means this would update me to 4.3, which I don't want for jailbreak purposes.

Is my assumption correct? If so, how can I restore and stay with 4.2.1? IIRC I can download the 4.2.1 ipsw from the interw3bz and somehow drag it into iTunes but I can't quite recall how to do that and can't find any good directions on doing so. Help? :confused:

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Can't you just sign out of her account and sign in with yours? :confused:

And no, you can't restore and stay on 4.2.1. You need to have SHSH saved in order to do that, and since you just bought your iPad, they aren't saved.

3. Dav1 macrumors 6502

When you dock it to your iTunes it should pop up a warning that it is sunk to another iTunes account. It should also warn you that if you continue everything will be deleted from your iPad (as in apps, music, videos, books, etc...) and it will sync to your account.

You shouldn't need to restore the firmware to do what you wish....

4. james92se thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hmm, thanks. I never got any message like this but I went ahead and sync'd anyway and all is well now :cool: