Can I "Restore" Back To 5.1.1 With Only iCloud Backup?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Power Ranger, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Power Ranger macrumors member

Hi all, I've never done a restore before and I'd like to go back to iOS 5.1.1 but only have an iCloud backup. Is it possible to go back to the previous version via "Restore"?

2. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Of course you can, but your iOS 6 backup cannot be restored on iOS 5.1.1. If you're going to restore, do it now as the signing windows is still open!

3. ethana macrumors 6502a

It doesn't work that way. You are on iOS 6 unless you do some really crazy jailbreak crap.

4. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

Ahh OK thanks! I will give it a shot. I tried restoring yesterday, but after clicking "OK" iTunes started downloading iOS 6 so I thought it was hopeless.

----------

So it won't go back to 5.1.1 by using Restore? I'm not jailbroken or anything.

5. viperGTS macrumors 65816

All you need to do is grab the 5.1.1 IPSW from felixbruns.de, and when its finished downloading, place it on your desktop (it's about 800 MB). Then go to iTunes, go to your phone, HOLD SHIFT WHILE CLICKING THE RESTORE BUTTON (VERY IMPORTANT), look for the 5.1.1 IPSW on your desktop, click it twice and BOOM, iTunes will start the downgrading process. It works because the signing windows stays open for a little bit after a new version of iOS comes out.

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

I was able to do this with the beta's, but not sure you can once you go with the IOS 6 release version.

I hope this isn't over maps or you tube.

7. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

OK, will give it a shot. But does doing this result in a completely fresh 5.1.1? Or will I be given the option to restore from my iCloud Backup (5.1.1 version)? Thanks.

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

yes it does! completely fresh.

I was able to restore to my 5.1.1 backup from iCloud. Just make sure that you did that backup before you upgraded to iOS 6, and also that an iOS 6 backup didnt take its place.

Good luck on the downgrade :)

9. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

Excellent. Thank you all for all the advice given in this thread! :cool:

10. viperGTS macrumors 65816

No problem! Hopefully your restore goes through :D

11. Power Ranger thread starter macrumors member

Nice, the process worked and its back to 5.1.1. I'm now restoring from my iCloud backup.

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wow this is a nice thread. Lots of useful info. I'll stick to iOS 6 however.