Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Sapphire08

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
England UK
Hi,

I'm running an old iPhone 4 and still using IOS 6 on it as I've been wary of upgrading to IOS7 incase it slows it down. I'm going to upgrade to iPhone 5s (it's ordered :D) and give my old iPhone 4 to my dad.

When my new one arrives should I 'restore using backup' of the iPhone 4 or not??
I've never upgraded my iPhone before and reading a few websites they say they restoring from backup is easy but should both be running IOS7 - so will this cause a problem?

Am I better to set up the 5s as a new phone and just sync iCloud stuff (if so what would be missing?) and then download apps that I want to have on to the 5s??

Hope that makes sense and all advice really appreciated.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I'm running an old iPhone 4 and still using IOS 6 on it as I've been wary of upgrading to IOS7 incase it slows it down. I'm going to upgrade to iPhone 5s (it's ordered :D) and give my old iPhone 4 to my dad.

When my new one arrives should I 'restore using backup' of the iPhone 4 or not??
I've never upgraded my iPhone before and reading a few websites they say they restoring from backup is easy but should both be running IOS7 - so will this cause a problem?

Am I better to set up the 5s as a new phone and just sync iCloud stuff (if so what would be missing?) and then download apps that I want to have on to the 5s??

Hope that makes sense and all advice really appreciated.

You can restore your backup just fine. Shouldn't be an issue at all.

Comment

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You can restore your apps and general layout, but it will restore to the latest OS (iOS 7).

That's the idea. The question is will restoring from a backup of OS6 cause problems with the latest operating system on the new iPhone and the answer is no. Everything will copy over just like if you were to restore from a backup of the latest OS.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.