Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
Hello, I'm relatively new to macs, about a year in, but I've never gotten around to using Time Machine. Mainly because its not my primary machine so I'm not using it for anything serious at the moment. That being said, I somehow managed to corrupt OSX to the point where it needs to be re-installed. Basically what happened is I tried to resize my Bootcamp partition and either Disk Utility crashed or I did something wrong that caused it to during the resize. Now whenever I click anywhere on the menu bar, the current app crashes.

So what I want to know is, If I create a Time Machine backup today and then reinstall OSX. Can I then access my backup but only reinstall the apps? Or will the new version of OSX be overwritten with my corrupted one?

Thanks

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Yes. If you run a Time Machine backup now, then reinstall your system you will be able to then access your backup and reinstall your apps. But beware, if you have apps like Adobe CS, Office, MatLab, or other large Suite of software the backup restore will likely not be a smooth one (nor will your preferences be restored).

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I do have Photoshop CS4 as well as MS Office 2008 installed. What do you mean that it will not be smooth? I don't care if it takes a long time, I just don't want to have to deal with registering/activating all my apps again.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I think your best bet is to reinstall all your current software after you reinstall the OS, since those apps are spread about the whole drive you wont get them working properly without a reinstall. Too bad you dont have a time machine backup from before your system went crazy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.