Can I Restore My Contacts Onto A New iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 103734, May 28, 2008.

1. 103734 Guest

I sold my old iPhone in anticipation for the new one, iTunes has my old iPhone backed up so will I be able to get all the old backed up files onto the new iPhone? Like my contacts and stuff

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm pretty sure that backups are model-specific, so it probably won't be possible, but I guess it could be. Seems unlikely, though. If it's completely new hardware, iTunes might not restore the same backup file to it, especially with a different firmware version. Wouldn't everything be synced onto independent programs on your computer, though?

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Shouldn't be a problem. I had my iPhone replaced back in October '07 and I walked to my car and everything was immediately transferred to my new iPhone, in a matter of minutes. :cool:

4. neven macrumors 6502a

The 2.0 software will restore smoothly from a 1.x backup.

5. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Wait a minute, aren't contacts stored on the sim card? There has to be some way to get contacts and info onto the new iPhone from the old one.

6. neven macrumors 6502a

Of course there is. Restore from iTunes.

SIM-storing is so 1998.

7. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm talking about a different physical device, though. Not just a new software update.

Like restoring a 2G iPod nano's settings to a 3G.

8. neven macrumors 6502a

The new device will run iPhone OS 2.0, no? So why wouldn't it restore?

Stop making this more complicated than it is, jeez - backups you make now will restore perfectly when you get your new iPhone. Relax!

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

All your contacts are in address book right? So it does not matter you can just re-sync contacts, music, video... then just backup the new one. :rolleyes:

10. wildcardd macrumors 6502a

Unless he is using a PC. Don't know where the contacts get stored on a Win machine.

11. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

Address Book.

PC == Use itunes back up:| Or outlook me thinks!

12. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

In Windows you can sync contacts on the iPhone with Outlook, Windows Contacts (Vista), or the Yahoo Address Book. I believe I've read somewhere that with the new release you'll also be able to sync the contacts with Google.

13. 103734 thread starter Guest

well i keep my iPhone synced with both my PC and Mac, but the iPhone is only backed up with my PC, I was thinking that since the iPhone 1 and 2 use the same software then it shouldn't be a problem.

and apple would have to allow people to update their contacts from phone to phone.

but this brings up another question, will i have to restart my 2 year contract

14. pranavss11 macrumors 6502

No one knows. Unless ATT lets you upgrade your phone, I think it'll be another 2 yr contract. I also do not know if it will be possible to switch SIM cards since with all this 3G coming out!