can i retrieve deleted files in mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Trance, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Trance macrumors 6502

i deleted a folder with some important photos for my family, i'm a ex-windows user i know this isn't possible for a regular user to retrieve recycle bin deleted items, but is it possible in mac to retrieve these pictures? :(

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There may be some 3rd party apps you could try to recover, but success is not assured. Generally speaking, if you empty the Trash, the items are lost.

3. simsaladimbamba

To retrieve files, that have been deleted and also been emptied from the Trash, you can use
    Data Rescue 3 (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 99 USD) or
    FileSalvage (trial lets you scan the HDD and see, if data is recoverable, but to actually recover files, you need to buy the full version for 89.95 USD).

Also know, that you should immediately stop any writing processes to the actual HDD. If it is the same HDD as the one your operating system (OS) resides on, it is better to use an external HDD with Mac OS X on to boot from and install Data Rescue or FileSalvage onto to scan the HDD from which the data has been accidentally deleted.

4. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

First of all make sure you are not using your Mac after finding that folder missing. I suggest you trusted photo recovery software for this purpose because single mistake can make your family memories away from you forever.:( . My trusted software in that critical situation is Mac photo recovery by Stellar. No doubt there are many other software present on the web also claiming they are good but since you are new mac user like me thats why I am suggesting the software that I feel easy to use and also result oriented.