Can I retrieve deleted mail?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gloor, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I was wondering if I can retrieve an email I deleted from my inbox and then from the deleted folder. I later realized that I do need that email. Any chance to retrieve it? Thank

2. Igantius macrumors 65816

And you're using which mail client?

To be frank, you're best off doing a google search - helped me when I had this kind of problem with Mail! Oh, I can't remember, so don't ask :p

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

I couldn't find it on google. Anyone who knows more?

5. Igantius macrumors 65816

Have you tried the 'Mac Basics and Help' forum?

6. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes, no good. :(

7. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Do you have POP/IMAP Access and have another copy of that e-mail online somewhere?

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm pretty sure that in mail.app, IMAP would mean the OP would still be outta luck as it synchs together. At least it does for my IMAP account; if I delete email from the IMAP account in Mail.app, it deletes from the server as well. :eek:

9. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Okay. I use POP, so I wasn't sure actually. So if he uses POP, it should probably still be online. That's how it is with GMail and my parent's ISP.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

That depends on how long the Mail app is set to leave mail on server, (Preferences: Accounts: Advanced: Remove copy from server after retrieving message: One week)
    whether or not the ISP permits read mail to be left on server (some don't, no matter what you set), and how long its been since the OP read that message.

OP: Have you tried logging into your ISP with their Web mail interface to see if the message is still there?

Bottom line: We have nowhere near enough information to do anything but blindly guess, My guess is that the OP is hoopled on this one.

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

CanadaRAM is dead on. It might still be on the server, but we don't have enough info.

A quick way to test it. Go to the preferences and create a new OSX user account. Log in, open Mail, and set up the email account in this new user, then check email. Any mail still on the server should come down. If it's not there, it's gone for good.