Can I return different closed box iPad to Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Dec 30, 2015.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

Random question: I ordered an iPad from an online store, as it offered a good deal. Unfortunately UPS screwed up the shipping so I won't get it before the 4th of Jan. I'm wondering if I could go to the local Apple store, pick up an iPad there, then return the unopened iPad I'll be receiving from the online dealer to that same Apple store on Jan 4. Will they check the serial number at receipt? Of course I could use the Apple store's iPad for a week and then start using the one I ordered online and return the opened one to the Apple store. But that would hurt Apple since they can't sell an open box item at full price. Hence my question.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe online orders can be returned in store. I know I've ordered accessories online that I subsequently returned to Apple stores. I can't remember if I ever did that with a main device, but I don't see why you shouldn't be able to do that.

But whether you return in store or online, Apple would need to open the box you are returning and check the contents. It's too easy to reseal a box to make it look like it hasn't been opened, and there have been too many cases where a customer buys a new-looking product and goes home and finds a wooden block inside.

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

It was NOT bought online from Apple, but from another online store with good reputation.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

In that case, no, you can't return it to Apple.