Can I return my 16GB iPhone for a new one?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Jul 29, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

See the picture I posted. My iPhone 16GB has a slight issue displaying dark areas (negative black?) and my iPod touch looks a lot better. I can see more detail on my iPod touch than on my iPhone. Is this bad enough to warrant a replacement or should I just deal with it. It kinda makes my eyes feel weird when looking at the shiny black area.

Also, I bought this 1st Gen iPhone on eBay and I looked up the serial number and the Apple.com says the warranty is still in effect until July 17th 2009.

I've seen some nasty negative black photos and this doesn't look as bad as those, but I'm used to my iPod touch which had (in my opinion) a perfect screen. The week number on this iPhone is week 82.

Do you think it's replaceable or are they gonna call me crazy?

Edit: iPhone is on left, iPod touch on right.

Edit: New photo showing the turn-off screen.

Attached Files:

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, I'd take it back. But, if all the setting are adjusted to display the best possible pic w/o the negative black, and it still shows like the pic on the left, then definitely, get a new one...:(

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Wait, the turn off screen isn't suppose to be like that on the left? Actually all three phones are like that (2 3G and 1 first gen).

P.s. what is the beginning two number of your serial number?

4. phalewhale macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

I had an issue like this on the first iPhone - I took that back and got a replacement.

5. WilliamG macrumors 604

Both my and my wife's 3G iPhone 16GBs look somewhere between the two you posted, but definitely more toward the right than the left.

6. DJ88 macrumors regular

My first 3G looked exactly like yours at the turn off screen. Take it back now! It ruins anything that is true black and turns it into that shiny negative look you described.

7. Blown01NJ macrumors member

My 3g looks like the one on the left at the off screen. What am I looking at? It looks normal to me. :confused:

8. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

the one on the left is actually suffering from a "negative black" issue, not the worst I've seen, but still bad.

You can pretty much do a search here or on google and you'll get all the info you need.

Also, if you go to this website on your phone you'll be able to test it out, www.appleservedup.com

It's a website to test your iPhone for dead pixels and the infamous negative black..

9. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Thanks guys... I didn't know if I was being too picky or something.

10. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm going to an Apple Store on Saturday, but I'm a bit nervous. I'm worried that they'll claim that there is nothing wrong with the screen and that it's within spec. I really hope they don't send me home with the same iPhone.

As a note: I'm not trying to get a brand new phone here. My iPhone is in perfect physical condition. I know some people wait until their phone is all scratched up before they bring it back for repair. Mine has no scratches at all.

11. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Most on here seem to have no problem while a few reported problems with the Apple employees giving them hard time.

Stay confident in what you complain about and if not, possibly try again another day with a new employee who may feel otherwise

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Well, I tried returning the iPhone, but as I figured, they noticed the problem, but they did not think it was an issue. They said that the iPhone looks this way and each phone is going to look slightly different. I have to admit, the iPhone's colors look more vibrant than my iPod touch. While I was there, I got an antiglare screen protector and it seems to help a bit.