Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tivolito

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Hey

I bought my rMBP in july 2012, and ever since then it has been a lot of problems. So with the listed problems below; Can i return my computer?

Safari loads extremly slow, only loads like 10% of the page up in the search field. It takes around 20-30 seconds for it to start loading again after the 10% stop.

GIFs on internet glitches like ****. They lag, load slowly, and many times they flicker like crazy - going from first picture to second -> first picture to third etc. Makes it totally unwatchable.

http://www.twitch.tv only works 1 out of 10 times. When i enter a stream i want to watch, the stream is completly black. And while i'm on http://www.twitch.tv problem no. 1 always occur when i try to open another page.

Image retention. No explanation needed.

Movies lags. Picture/sound is out of sync. Video stutters, then speeds up like the computer took an ecstacy pill for 3 seconds.

Idle temperature is always 60+ degrees celcius. Dont know if this is standard though.

Swapping through for example facebook pictures if glitchy aswell. What happens here is that when i go the next picture in a gallery, a part of the previous picture blocks the new picture.

Text on some web pages is replaced with big white blocks. I guess it's when there's a flash text(?)

And last, but not least - this retarded EFI update that ****ed up the whole computer. Making it unusable unless i dont shut it down and do a SMC reset.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
No you wont be able to return it, just a bit outside the 14 days

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
It's too late to return it, but if a problem is hardware related, you can obtain warranty service. I'm not aware of any exceptions ever made months into a purchase.

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010
Image retention? Crappy performance on even basic stuff? I think you got a defective laptop. You're well past your return period but the problems you bring up are big enough for the warranty to take care of it. AFAIK, the image retention issue is something apple will always replace

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
What did Apple say when you first started seeing problems? Did you go to the Apple Store and speak to someone or call Apple Care? They are usually good about taking care of problems. After dealing with them for six months, they would likely have had it in a service center at least once and then replace it if the problem persists. They are unlikely to offer a refund after thirty days.

Quazimojo

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2010
Auburn Hills,Mi
Yeah i do not have a single issue that is mentioned from the OP on my base RMBP .

Clearly you have some serious issues and services running in the background.

Fresh install is your best bet and if that does not fix it follow it up with a trip to the genius bar or a call to Apple.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I bought my rMBP in july 2012, and ever since then it has been a lot of problems. So with the listed problems below; Can i return my computer?

Why do you need to return it? Just take it in and ask them to repair it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hey

No you can't. You're completely out of your 14 day return policy. Whining on here won't change that.

Safari loads extremly slow, only loads like 10% of the page up in the search field. It takes around 20-30 seconds for it to start loading again after the 10% stop.
Have you ever tried another browser? Similar behaviour would indicate that your internet connection is to blame, not the computer.
GIFs on internet glitches like ****. They lag, load slowly, and many times they flicker like crazy - going from first picture to second -> first picture to third etc. Makes it totally unwatchable.
Safari is notorious for this, try another browser and see if it still does it.

http://www.twitch.tv only works 1 out of 10 times. When i enter a stream i want to watch, the stream is completly black. And while i'm on http://www.twitch.tv problem no. 1 always occur when i try to open another page.
It really sounds like you have a problem with your internet settings.

Image retention. No explanation needed.
It's an IPS screen, it can happen
Movies lags. Picture/sound is out of sync. Video stutters, then speeds up like the computer took an ecstacy pill for 3 seconds.
Videos where, on the internet? DVD's? Be more specific.
Idle temperature is always 60+ degrees celcius. Dont know if this is standard though.
Yes, that is standard.
Swapping through for example facebook pictures if glitchy aswell. What happens here is that when i go the next picture in a gallery, a part of the previous picture blocks the new picture.
Safari has been having graphical artifacts, especially on the newer MBP's ever since version 6, apparently the webkit nightlys alleviate this, but I haven't tried them.
Text on some web pages is replaced with big white blocks. I guess it's when there's a flash text(?)
That usually occurs when the website's creator used a character set your computer does not have.
And last, but not least - this retarded EFI update that ****ed up the whole computer. Making it unusable unless i dont shut it down and do a SMC reset.
Can't say anything about that, but I'd try getting mountain lion on that computer as a fresh install.

From what I gather, you bought a $2000 laptop to browse the web, and your only true gripe with the computer has to do with your crappy internet connection or glitches in safari which could be fixed by switching to firefox or chrome. Am I getting this right?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Since you seem quite dissatisfied, I'd give Apple a chance to make you happy.

Over the years I've had nothing but excellent experiences with customer service. Each time they've proven that they are very serious about taking care of the customer.

Remember they are staffed with humans who like us, are not perfect. You may need to escalate the case until you get to a decision maker.

It's just one of many reasons I remain very loyal to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.