Can I roll back to Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Shocco, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Shocco macrumors newbie

Installed Yosemite but am looking to roll back to Mavericks is it as simple as creating a bootable Mavericks USB then reformatting the drive in the recovery partition and installing from USB?

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

3. DavidMonteiro macrumors newbie

Yes. I don't know if Yosemite replaces the Recovery partition to a newer one, but you can simply go to the Recovery partition by holding Option at bootup, clear your Yosemite partition and simply reinstall Mavericks from there.

4. tywebb13 macrumors 68020

Yosemite actually deleted my mavericks recovery partition.

You'd be better off booting up from the mavericks usb and using that to erase the entire drive and then install mavericks again.

You should be able to do all of this from the bootable usb.

Alternatively you can also use it to restore from a time machine backup of mavericks made before you upgraded to Yosemite if you did such a backup. Apple advises to do such backups anyway.

5. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Yosemite converted my entire Disk to a Core Storage Partition and I had to Google how to Partition my Drive to reinstall Mavericks. Yosemite did update my Recovery Partition.

6. Mac.User macrumors 6502

Yeah no restore partition and it wont boot from the internet either.

7. WallToWallMacs macrumors regular

Interesting, so when one creates a partition/formats their drive with Yosemite it makes it a Core Storage partition or did you already have a Core Storage partition and Yosemite converted it to the newer version that it now uses?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Give this whole thread a read. If you install Yosemite on a second partition, that partition is setup as core storage. It does not convert the first (Mavericks) partition to core storage though.

9. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Does this just apply to SSDs? I installed Yosemite on a separate partition and it's not setup as core storage. It also did not erase my Mavericks recovery partition either.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I don't think so. The people that have been reporting this issue seem to be both HDD and SSD users and they all installed Yosemite on a second partition. Odd it did not happen to you.

11. bbfc macrumors 68030

bbfc

Indeed. This is what happens when I run the command diskutil list in terminal.

Attached Files:

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like you were not afflicted with the core storage issue. I attribute it to clean living. :D

13. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

I just did a recover boot on start-up and restored from my time machine backup right to 10.9 (Maverick). Of course I backed it up before I installed 10.10, so if you didn't it's a full install.

This was done on a 11" MBA 2014

14. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

The Partition was just a Standard format for OS X. It converted it during the upgrade for some reason.

15. chrisrand macrumors member

Easy fix

I know this is an old article, but this recently happened to me and the easiest way to get rid of the Yosemite partition is to:

1) Boot your other OS, mine was Mavericks
    2) Open Disk Utility
    3) Select the Yosemite partition
    4) Select the erase tab, erase it
    5) Select the main drive and go to the partition tab, where you can then delete the Yosemite partition and resize it back to the original size.

Hope that helps!