Can I run 10.4 as well as 10.5 on the same machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wazzer, Apr 23, 2008.

1. wazzer macrumors newbie

Hello Everybody I'm new to this forum so apologise if I'm asking a dumb question. I have a requirement where I need to run some music sampler software that requires OS/X 10.4 - the package in question 'Kontakt 3' cannot be run on 10.5. as far as I'm aware. I have tried to find other Sampler software that runs on 10.5 ie) Halion etc but none seem to currently.

At the moment I have a really old ibook running OS/X 10.4 but is nowhere near fast enough to run my desired package properly. I'm in the market for a new laptop anyway but these days they all ship with 10.5.

I believe I can do some kind of drive partition but I don't know how tangable this is......

Have patiance with me as I'm not the biggest Mac expert in the world!

Thanks

2. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

If your machine came with 10.5 I don't think you'll be able to run 10.4 on it. Plus, you can't actually buy a retail 10.4 for intel.

If you had a 10.4 machine upgraded to 10.5 you'd be able to boot 10.4 from an external disk.

3. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Yeah, if you had an Intel machine that shipped with 10.4, you could partition it and use Tiger on one and Leopard on the other. However, if the machine ships with 10.5 (like one of the new MacBooks or MacBook Pros) it's likely you wouldn't be able to install Tiger on it, because they use hardware that Tiger never supported. Plus, as pointed out already there's no retail package of Tiger for Intel machines. I'm afraid you're up a proverbial creek unless you buy a used Intel Mac that came with 10.4.

4. kirkunit macrumors newbie

booting up laptop w/ os 10.5 from a mac mini w/ os 10.4

i have a similar question i think..

i just got a macbook that came with leopard 10.5.4.
    i have photoshop 7.0 which now does not work.. i know there is no fix other than to downgrade back to tiger 10.4 or bite the bullet and get CS4 (ouch $$!)

is it possible to startup my laptop from my macmini and run os 10.4 via firewire?? i know the reverse works since i could see both os in the startup disk preferences on the macmini. i don't really need 2 computers but i might just keep the mini as an external drive if this works and get rid of my crt monitor and keyboard