Can I run applications from a time capsule volume?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by willcapellaro, Feb 19, 2014.

1. willcapellaro macrumors 6502

Might be nice for game storage.

I'm looking for reasons to buy...

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It will depend on the app of course, but unlike Windows most Mac Apps are easily moved from drive to drive.

Performance of the TC as a general purpose NAS drive has generally not been its strong suit. This may also limit the type of apps you can run this way.

B

3. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I will consider this in my planning.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

5. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

It'll be slow. Possibly too slow for dynamic level loading during gameplay. While it'll work, it likely will be an exercise in frustration.

6. willcapellaro thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, love all those. Also, for me and my wife it would mean one power cord for router and Time Machine backups instead of our current three (Netgear router, her backup HDD, my backup HDD). That could help tame the rats nest of wires under our desk.

However, good wireless volume and NAS features or even good wired disk features would make this a home run for us. USB 3, Thunderbolt, or Ethernet to work as a fast wired drive when you want that would be sweet. Hmmmm.... Maybe Ethernet is usable as a drive in the way that I am seeking?

While I'm dreaming of features, audio out and/or HDMI for Airplay would be super gravy. Why does Airport Express get audio out that but TC does not? I'd pay another $500 for some combo of all that, easy peasy.