Can I run FCP6 and FCStudio3 simultaneously

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by tmarket, Sep 14, 2010.

1. tmarket macrumors newbie

I have Final Cut Pro 6 installed on my MacBook Pro, it works great and have many projects saved with this version. I want to instal Final Cut Studio 3 which include Final Cut 7, but would like to keep FC6 as it is, as a backup software I should say, to be sure that I'll still be able to work on my old projects that I don't want to be updated.

Will a new version of the program overrun, update the old version (FC6) making it unusable?

Thanks a lot for that

2. smokescreen76 macrumors member

Unfortunately this isn't possible as when you update Final Cut Pro it also updates a number of core components.

The only way of having both applications is by having two separate boot drives - not particularly convenient on a laptop.

(also you should purchase both full versions of the software - buying an upgrade but continuing using the old app is a bit of a cheat)

Although realistically you should just upgrade and not look back.

(remember that the best way to upgrade FCP is to do a fresh install of the entire operating system. Installing over the top of the old application is not recommended)

3. -DH macrumors 65816

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1968?viewlocale=en_US

But there is a way ... just not viable on a laptop. On a MacPro, you could always have multiple internal boot drives - each with its own OS, QT version and FCP version. Just choose which one you want to boot up on at any time.

On a laptop, you'd need to partition the hard drive and make each partition bootable.

-DH