Can i run hotmail through mail?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stork, Jul 7, 2007.

1. stork macrumors member

Is it possible to run hotmail through mail??
    Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

wrong.

there is a plug-in for it. worked fine for me when it first came out and i was using hotmail.

3. Shrek6446 macrumors member

If that doesnt work for you here is another way to get hotmail on mail

Mail Widget

4. keenkreations macrumors regular

Mail Widget works? Anyway, I use httpmail, and it works fine. However there is one caveat, and it is spoken about in the httpmail documentation: depending on how old your hotmail account is, you might or might not get access to your hotmail account via Mail. It works for me, but when I installed it in my friend's Macbook, she could not access her hotmail via Mail. So I guess it is a hit or miss. Good luck with that.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

MacFreePOPs is another option, that should work for an old or new account... it's not the easiest thing in the world to set up, but it does work, and work fairly reliably. I have it running on my iMac now and it is getting Hotmail successfully....

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Another vote for MacFreepops. Works great. Setup can be a bit finicky but it is much better than it used to be. :D Works on all types of hotmail accounts.

7. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Just downloaded and installed MacFreePops. Pretty straightforward and works fine.

8. yukon0013 macrumors regular

yukon0013

9. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

That of who ever is hosting your service; such as 'smtp.mac.com:[user]

10. yukon0013 macrumors regular

yukon0013

so say you have a hotmail account.. then what would you do ?

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

get a gmail account :p

12. CISC-Mac macrumors newbie

There are programs and widgets that allow you to access your hotmail. Or you can just go to hotmail.com :p. The expensive end is to buy Office 2004...

13. keenkreations macrumors regular

With httpmail, the outgoing is also hotmail too.

14. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i use the httpmail plug in and it works very well for me

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, in the US, you usually end up using an SMTP server from your ISP and not from your e-mail service anyways... for instance, all my outgoing e-mails go through smtp.east.cox.com or something like that. Who is your ISP?

16. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

Seconded 100%! GMail is the best ever and supports POP3/SMTP. PM me if you need an invite.

17. keenkreations macrumors regular

You don't need invites to get with Gmail anymore. You just have to go to the site and sign up.

Secondly, I prefer not to use the SMTP server of my ISP since I want emails to go to my hotmail account, gmail, etc. I know I can change the reply to address, but I don't my horrid ISP email address getting out there. Plus the fact that my ISP is dumb and I cannot access the SMTP server if I am not on their network. (i.e., sending out an email at a coffee shop, using the wireless connection and nowhere near my home connection)

18. noway macrumors regular

noway

i have 2 gmail accouns.. one for work one for friends and both work perfectly through mail... couldnt be better !!!

19. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

Do these solutions require that I have a .mac account? only ask as I don't have .mac at the moment and want a way to use mail to access hotmail

20. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

you don't need .mac to use Mail. GMail and the httpmail plugin work fine without it (though httpmail only works on older Hotmail accounts)

21. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i seriously cannot get any of these ways to work.... it says to take out your outgoing server, but whenever i choose "none" it always goes back to the previous one. really annoying

22. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I use Entourage without any problems. I have 3 mail accounts hooked up:
    - Blueyonder (aka Virgin)
    - Hotmail
    - .Mac account

Works a treat. Fair enough you have to pay for MS Office - but it is really the only decent product MS are good at producing.

23. AaronM58 macrumors member

AaronM58

I recently just switched from hotmail to gmail for the purpose of using mail.app when I get my MBP. The switch wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it was going to be...especially since I've had that hotmail account for about 8 years. JUST MAKE THE SWITCH MAN!!! Haha.

24. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i cant get my hotmail or gmail acount to workies in my Mail program. can u give us a quick run down of how u did it?? please??

lol thanks