Can i run Lion ok?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Trix10, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Trix10 macrumors member

Hey all, I brought my Mac Mini from ebay in the summer and it's been running perfectly.

I'm waiting on iOS 5 and noticed i need to be running Lion to get iCloud on my computer. So i was not sure if my computer would be able to run it ok, since it's not brand new.

I took a screenshot of the About This Mac bit, and hopefully that gives enough information about whether i can run it ok or not.

Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Should run great. I have a similar specification on my 2008 MBP. While it is slightly faster in MHz, the overall memory and performance of the system improved when I did a clean install on this system.

You should be good to go!

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Yep

It will run fine.....Try to do a clean install if you can, it'll tidy things up and maximise the performance of your machine.

remember though....BACKUP IS YOUR FREIND! :)

4. Trix10 thread starter macrumors member

That's great news, and at $30 - £20.99 it's a steal!

How do i go about doing a fresh install though? I assume i need to backup all my data first, such as my giant Downloads folder :p Can i simply right click the folder and choose copy, then paste to an external hard drive? Or is there an easier/better mac way to go about it all?

Thanks for the help everyone.

5. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

When you download it, it installs as an upgrade to your existing OS--many people recommend a "clean" install, but it isn't absolutely necessary. I updated two machines to Lion when it first came out and had zero problems.

Even if not doing a clean install, backups are smart to have. The easiest way is to do a time machine backup to an external drive.

Once you have a backup done I'd suggest doing a standard install from the App Store. If for some reason you have problems, you can always wipe everything and reinstall from scratch--but the majority of users have had no need to do a clean install, so doing it is likely a major waste of time.

6. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Before updating to Lion it's best to install all available updates via Software Update.

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah the specs on one of my Macs is almost the same as that and it runs fine :)