Can I run multiple accounts in iChat at once?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by munckee, Jun 20, 2007.

1. munckee macrumors 65816

Is there some way to have more than one account name running iChat at once? If not, are there other programs that allow this?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm not terribly familiar w/ iChat.

But I know that Adium will most certainly allow for you to be logged in w/ multiple accounts. :)

Hmm, well, Adium keeps all your BL synched, too.

But yes, it's got no audio/video (I use skype for that) and it has issues w/ file transfers. Argh.

But still, I love Adium. :eek: It's so purdiful and it really is convenient to use one app to log in to chat w/ different services (google talk, AIM, etc.).

3. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah. It appears that iChat will not :rolleyes:

You'd think this would be a relatively simple feature. I'll have to give adium a try, though I'm not thrilled about it. I like the fact that I have iChat at work and at home and that it keeps my buddy lists synched (even if it can't remember the "get info" info from one to the other...:rolleyes: ). And, while I haven't used it yet, I do find it kind of annoying that adium doesn't support audio/video. I want ONE programs for all this stuff :D

4. dcv macrumors G3

How could you possibly run different A/V iChats simultaneously? :confused:

5. panoz7 macrumors 6502a

panoz7

You could always launch multiple instances of iChat at the same time. I just tried it and it seems to work fine. Not the most elegant solution, but a solution nonetheless.

EDIT: I can't seem to get it to login to different accounts in each instance. Probably should have checked that before posting. There's probably a plist file or something that stores the login information that needs to be duplicated or something.

6. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Not multiple a/v chats, just multiple usernames for text chats.

7. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i think this is a feature coming to ichat for leopard.

8. dcv macrumors G3

I might be wrong but I wouldn't have thought it possible because you can't run multiple a/v chats at once. Somebody prove me wrong now!

9. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

Does Adium support multiple of the same type of account running at once? (ie, can I have two different AIM usernames running at the same time?)

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Yes. :)

11. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Yup, I have 3 AIM accounts running right now and you cn do custom away messages with each one as well. File transfers and a/v chats are not there or not great but over all it works pretty well.

12. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816