Can I run multiple os's when partitioning hd?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yettimillan, Sep 11, 2009.

1. yettimillan macrumors regular

Hi, I want to run multiple operating systems on my mac just to test them out and see what they can do.

My question is, if i partition my hard drive multiple times, can i then download the os onto a disk, pop it in on startup and install it onto the partition?

If so can this also be done with windows without using bootcamp??

If that wont work I plan to use a vm.

Thanks

2. zenoran macrumors regular

I believe the only way you can install different OS's is through bootcamp... and you can't have your drive partitioned previously if you want to be able to use bootcamp.

3. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I downloaded virtual box, and then OpenSolaris.

I have had trouble installing it, could someone please help me.

4. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

This is not true. You don't have to use Boot Camp to partition for other OS's, it just makes it easier for novices. I've never used the Boot Camp Assistant myself.

As for the OP, if you need help with VirtualBox, you'll need to be a bit more specific about your problem.

5. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

U don't have to use bootcamp!!! So does that mean if i partition my HD and install windows onto the smaller half, I can increase/decrease the size of it when I need to?

6. yettimillan thread starter macrumors regular

so can I??

As for virtualbox I downloaded Ubutu and Solaris onto my desktop. When it wants to install the new os i cant get it to install from the desktop as it only gives me the option to do it from disk, but I don't have any disks large enough.