can i run native window apps on macbook out the box?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chewy85, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Chewy85 macrumors newbie

I'm off abroad on business soon and am looking to buy a laptop at the airport for duty free reasons. Macbook pro is the first choice but i need to know if it'll run some software, mainly java apps and also a win XP developed app. The easy option would be to buy a normal laptop as i know this'll work without any additional software.

Fogive the dumb questions mac is not my first language:

Out the box can the macbook run windows apps? i.e. does it have a built in emulator?

Do i need to install the likes of XP onto the mac if i want to boot using this bootcamp option?

Are all drivers available on any XP install disk or does it require an internet connection to download them?

Can i run any web based java app as well?

In essence when i unpack this abroad will i need anything else with me to make it work.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

No.

Macs cannot recognise the .exe extension that Windows applications use (which is, ultimately, a good thing as many, many viruses are .exe files). You need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use something like VMWare Fusion or Parallels (which allows you to install Windows as a virtual machine and use it at the same time as OS X).

As for drivers, once you install Windows using Boot Camp, you install the first OS X install disc while Windows is booted up; this will install the drivers.

3. Chewy85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks, does the install disk come with the macbook though or can i create it from the OS?

4. haidexs macrumors newbie

The install disk will be with your machine when you get it.

5. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...:apple: is good for giving you the install disks, PC makers for the most part stopped that yrs ago to save a couple bucks...

6. Zephirus macrumors member

Just to clarify, Apple will NOT give you a Windows XP or Vista CD though, you need to buy the OS yourself.

Here's what you need

Macbook
    OSX install DVDs
    WIndows install DVD

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

8. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Windows XP 32-bit, Service Pack 2 or greater. Windows Vista 32-bit or 64-bit, RTM or Service Pack 1.

I suggest Windows XP 32-bit SP 3. Vista is a train wreck if you're not strict with how you run it, in my opinion.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

not out of the box. like posters before me said - you're going to have to install XP or Vista.

another solution would be to purchase CrossOver - which basically lets you run Windows programs in OS X - without having to actually install Windows. i use it sometimes...

although it did induce the first kernel panic EVER on my machine some time ago....

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

CrossOver is great... when it works. Check the compatibility list for your software. You may find that it's perfect for what you want.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/cat

11. Chewy85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for responding.

I use metatrader4 and the rest is java powered apps.

I have XP SP3 which i can dump on ok, it's just the drivers which worried me but if the disk's in the box then fine.

Yes, Dixons duty free in the UK sell Macbooks, if you phone them a couple of weeks beforehand, place your order and pick it up as you go through departure. They'll get any model that currys sell in for you. That's 15% saving on the RRP.

12. apersianboyCOM macrumors 6502

That's a great deal your getting at the airport.
    I'm a recent switcher to Mac as well and before I got my Mac I knew I was going to install XP in bootcamp, but when I got it I tried out VMWare Fusion and I love it. I only use windows rarely just for the apps that I need! This way you don't have to restart your system everytime you want to switch as you would with bootcamp!

13. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Just on the XP pro note, bear in mind if your getting a MBP with 4GB, then XP won't be able to use all of it, as it's a 32 bit system (same goes for Vista 32bit), it can use a maximum of 4GB. However you have to take off the VRAM 256-512 depending on whether your going for the entry level or higher, and then an odd bit hear and there for the other bits of hardware.

Usually in a Windows machine the DMI will use some up, don't know whether the Logic boards on Macs use a DMI though, guessing they probably do.

It's amusing seeing some one post their uber PC specs with 6GB of RAM and 2 SLI cards with 2GB Vram, and they're running a 32 bit Windows O/S. All that wasted memory they paid a fortune for, muppets.

Tried XP 64bit but the driver support was atrocious, is one of the areas where Vista does have the uper hand.

It might be worth keeping an eye out for Windows 7 Release Candidate which is due next month sometime. Have been running the beta and been impressed with it so far. Hopefully the RC will bring more program compatibility with it. It'll be free and won't expire till mid next year so definite bonus points there.

14. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I have installed XP on two Macbooks with Boot Camp and the only major problem I ran into was having the installation bomb with the error message "SESSION3_INSTALLATION_FAILURE". The solution to this (found after brief web search) is to make a copy of the Windows install DVD and install from that instead. Seems to be some problem with the Boot Camp drivers, not sure, but that fixed it for me.

15. jejagua macrumors member

Win7

I'm running Windows 7 build 7057 on a UMBP 15" under Bootcamp / VMWare and having no issues. Had heat problems gaming in Bootcamp, but resolved with SMCFanControl.

16. shikimo macrumors 6502

Airport duty-free shops sell EVERYTHING, if you go to enough of them:).

Last time I was in KIX Japan there were killer deals on Apple laptops...they also had iMacs, which was considerably more confusing in terms of traveling logistics.