Can i run Snow Leopard and Leopard on a partitioned HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JasNature, Sep 7, 2009.

1. JasNature macrumors newbie

i use pro tools and until snow leopard and digi design come up with a patch i dont want to put snow leopard on my mac... but if i partition the HD and take 200GB, can i just put Snow Leopard on this partition and use it for every day tasks such as social networkin and whatnot while my original HD still has everything installed such as apps and whatnot that came with macbook including pro tools. any feedback or insights is much appreciated!!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I guess you could, it'd be a situation of separate OSs, but then I'd question why? Why would you bother with SL so long as you're waiting on patches to run your programs? Just chill with 10.5.9 until they figure out where their heads are with 10.6.

3. Jelite macrumors 6502a

4. akadmon macrumors 68010

I'm running both on my Mac Pro (although they're on separate internal disks, but that's no matter). But I agree with others -- Leopard will do just fine for your social networking, so the effort in reformatting the drive to load two OSes (only then to reformat it agin later) seems not worth it.

5. JasNature thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much... i guess i am just being impatient to the fact that i want to check out Snow Leopard but at same time don't want to disable my mac making it useless for pro tools which means i cant work n make money....

i appreciate you all responding :)

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Speaking of where somebody's head is at... how's that 10.5.9 version working out for you?

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well sweet cheeks, since I'm on SL, it's not working. Then again you're right, I guess 10.5.8 would have been a better statement. Either way, it's clear to me that you're just as confused. ;)

8. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

partitioned my internal with tiger and sl. i have alot of stuff on tiger i use only occasionally that i don;t want to clutter up sl with.

i'll always have a use for my tiger system. i'll always have a use for my old 8600. just because a new os comes out doesn't mean everything before it no longer works.

9. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i don't think it's a question of 'everything before it no longe works'

i think it's a question of the updates generally running better, and faster.

10. Wie Gehts macrumors 6502

there is also an economic issue. sometimes i buy apps that i use rarely or find that i just ain't that into, but may still want to mess around in when the mood hits, that won't justify the continuing purchasing the next big upgrade(s).
    so they reside on the 'old' system that they run on. still working. forever and ever.....

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well doll... all I wanted to know was where you got a copy of Leopard 10.5.9. How does that make me confused?

12. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

It's a great idea for the OP to partition a portion of his hard drive and install SL on it, this way he can test what programs work with it or any issues that he might run into, he can also test ProTools to see how it runs. If everything is good then he can dump that partition and install SL as his main OS.

13. JasNature thread starter macrumors newbie

@HLdan thanks... i was still thinking of doing it just to have everything on original HD and do what u said about testing SL with certain programs... not like partitioning would be a waste cause i could always make use of it when Digi design and Snow Leopard release a patch for pro tools...

14. JasNature thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

so i went ahead and experimented with the partition... i Downloaded Snow Leopard onto the second HD and have had no issues... i just hold down Option key when comp boots up then i am given an option to choose between partitions :)

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i have SL and leopard and vista and xp and ubuntu all on seperate disks

quite nice