Can I run Snow Leopard in Lion w/ Parallels?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Singin Hobo, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Singin Hobo macrumors regular

I've got Parallels 6 and I was hoping to run a VM Snow Leopard through Lion but when I try to install it it says something about not being able to install a Snow Leopard server, which I don't want to do.

I don't want to run it on a partition as I would like to run them both at the same time (I need some apps in Lion and a printer of mine has no driver for Lion).

Any way to work this?

2. Sc00tr macrumors regular

no you can only run Snow Lep Server inside the VM.
    However you can run Lion inside a VM. You will need to upgrade to the latest version of Parallels.

3. Singin Hobo thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, hows about this one:

Can I connect to my Windows 7 VM in Parallels as a network? ie: using a printer attached through Windows from Lion?

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So if you have a pc lying around and have a virtualization software, you can run lion on your pc virtualized?

5. Singin Hobo thread starter macrumors regular

No, according to the user agreement you can only run OSX on Mac hardware... so you could run Lion inside Lion... I guess.

6. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I don't see why not. I'm doing the exact opposite: my Windows XP VM is able to use the printer attached through Lion. You should be able to install your printer in Windows 7 and share it on your network, and then find it Lion.

7. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

Licensing issues aside, apprently the just updated VM Ware Fusion 4.1 allows you to run leopard or snow leopard virtualized (non-server editions).

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, but even before that, there was a simple hack to allow vmware to load SL. Anyways when I had done that on computer I found performance to be rather poor. The drivers are just not there to really get a decent performance, but its still nice for testing purposes or if you have some rosetta apps