Can I safe delete "previous systems" folder?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kikedeolivos, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kikedeolivos macrumors member

Hi,

I've just followed the "archive and install" procedure from my OS X Discs ( had a problem with the run preflight script that won't let me install a Midi driver) and have a "previous systems" folder with 14 Gb of space: can I safe delete this folder or files on it are recalled / referenced from the new OS install?

Thank you.

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

Unless there is anything in there that is not been restored to its prior location, it can be safety deleted.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

I would run your OS for a few days and make sure you aren't missing anything or having any problems, but then yes, it isd safe to delete and will not affect your reinstalled OS.

4. shesmu macrumors newbie

Yes, you can safely delete it unless it contains something you want to import to your new system.

5. kikedeolivos thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the prompt replies.

I was thinking about software and files - photos, videos, documents, music, etc-.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I personally also recommend waiting a couple of weeks to see if something actually turns out to be in there, but generally, you can also just peruse it manually and recover anything you want before deleting it, too. It's laid out more or less like the root of your drive, so navigating around it is pretty self explanatory.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I would keep it for a little while to make sure all your software is running correctly, and I would also look through it for a for a few things as well especially in the Library folder as depending on what you've installed there may be things like fonts and audio stuff that did not get put into the new clean system....oh yeah!