iPad Can I Safely Move SIM From One iPad to Another iPad?

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I have 2 iPad Air II's. Both are with AT&T. One is mine, the other belongs to my first grader.

Mine has an active ATT SIM card, I use it all the time on the commute to work. The other hasn't had an active SIM card for years, I let it expire, my son just uses it with wi-fi.

Question: We're taking a long car trip with my 7 year old and I'd like him to use the second iPad Air while I leave mine at home. But I'd like to flip the SIM from my iPad Air II to his iPad Air II so he can watch videos in the car.

Can I do this? Are SIM's locked to specific devices? Will it mess anything up?

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
You should be fine swapping sims and will not mess anything up in the process. Since both are AT&T, shouldn't really matter.
Thanks! So I'm clear, you think I can just go back/forth flipping the one active/paid unlimited SIM between my iPad Air II and my son's iPad Air II all summer for long car trips on weekends and then back to mine for the work commute during the week and have no issues with AT&T or having my SIM locked or something?

Just want to make 100% sure before I attempt it. Thanks again.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Thanks! So I'm clear, you think I can just go back/forth flipping the one active/paid unlimited SIM between my iPad Air II and my son's iPad Air II all summer for long car trips on weekends and then back to mine for the work commute during the week and have no issues with AT&T or having my SIM locked or something?

Just want to make 100% sure before I attempt it. Thanks again.
Since both are AT&T, they won't lock it.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
The only possible issue would be if you were on a plan where the provider had discontinued it for new customers and specified that existing customers could keep it for the life of their existing device. In this case, your son’s iPad would flag as a new device and they could take action.

I’ve only heard of one plan doing this, but can’t remember which it was.

AutomaticApple

macrumors 68000
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
I have 2 iPad Air II's. Both are with AT&T. One is mine, the other belongs to my first grader.

Mine has an active ATT SIM card, I use it all the time on the commute to work. The other hasn't had an active SIM card for years, I let it expire, my son just uses it with wi-fi.

Question: We're taking a long car trip with my 7 year old and I'd like him to use the second iPad Air while I leave mine at home. But I'd like to flip the SIM from my iPad Air II to his iPad Air II so he can watch videos in the car.

Can I do this? Are SIM's locked to specific devices? Will it mess anything up?
Yeah, you’ll be completely fine! :)

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
The only possible issue would be if you were on a plan where the provider had discontinued it for new customers and specified that existing customers could keep it for the life of their existing device. In this case, your son’s iPad would flag as a new device and they could take action.

I’ve only heard of one plan doing this, but can’t remember which it was.
I forgot one important (maybe) detail:

For the first iPad Air II (mine) I sold that account number (and original grandfathered 2011 Unlimited Dataplan) to someone for $750 a few years ago, and that person is now using that original 2011 UDP in a device somewhere in the USA.

Would I mess things up for him if the original device that 2011 UDP was attached to suddenly appeared attached to my son's iPad Air II?