Can I safely transer PC files to Mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Politis, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Politis macrumors regular

Question from a friend.... I use a PC. If I switch to Mac are all my current files, programs and facilities easily and faithfully transferable? I use my laptop for presentations and projectors and I normally use Windows programs to play videos/music write documents, etc. So will they be compatible? So which system (or alternative ie Clouds) would be best.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No, not everything is compatible... particularly the software you run. You will need to install the Mac version if you intend to use Mac OS X.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Files like music, videos, documents etc will work fine as long as you use appropriate software. However, you cannot run Windows programs in OS X, but many apps have OS X versions or alternatives.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Windows apps don't run on Mac OS X. Your files will be, for the most part, compatible. Pictures, videos, documents, etc. are easily accessed by Mac applications. Most Windows programs have one or several Mac equivalent apps. Microsoft Office for Mac can easily open MS Office for Windows documents. If you have a particular Windows app that doesn't have a Mac equivalent, you can enable Windows apps to run on a Mac.

To run Windows apps on your Mac, you need to install Windows via Boot Camp or use Parallels or VMware Fusion.

If you don't have a Windows license, you can use CrossOver to run some applications. Not all Windows apps are compatible with CrossOver. Check their site for compatible apps.