Can I save my iPod music?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by StrikerShoot, Feb 22, 2012.

1. StrikerShoot macrumors newbie

Please bare with me since Im a newbie to Macs. My old computer died and the worst case happened when all my files went with it. Now I'm using a Macbook Pro and basically just looking for a way to back up music. I'm also wondering if it is even possible to copy music from my old iPod to my new computer?

I'm pretty sure all my music not on my iPod has disappeared. My dead computer was a nightmare in and of itself (I think it got attacked by malware.. yay for Windows). So now I just have my iPod, and my fear is that all my music on it is stuck there. But heres the thing. This iPod hasn't been synced for some time now, so is it even possible to copy the music on it to my new computer? While I want to save my iPod music, I'm also looking to make sure I don't find myself in a similar situation and lose all my music on the computer if my Mac goes out on me.. though I'm hoping Macs are better than Windows and it won't do that.

I was able to find this about protecting my iPod music collection, which mentions Apple's iCloud, iTunes Match, and that "there are some tools that can recover" my music. But it doesn't mention any of those tools. I do see there is the Intego backup software but I want to double check to see if there are free options first, such as solutions that come with Macs. Can I use the iCloud to save all my music files? That would be awesome. If not, what is iTunes Match and how can that help me?

I feel so dumb for not thinking to do this before (back up music from my old computer).. but if anyone can help me I would be grateful. I'm tired of being frustrated with this and just want to move forward with a solution to protect my music.

2. StrikerShoot thread starter macrumors newbie

Backup external hard drive

Thanks!

For external backups, does the Apple feature to download past purchases from the iTunes store basically make external hard drives or backup software unnecessary for me?

I also did some more searching on the Apple site and found THIS. It does worry me when I read: "You cannot, however, transfer songs from other sources from the iPod library to iTunes." But there's a lot to absorb, so I'll keep going through it and reply back here if it seems I need some more assistance.