Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
I currently have an iPhone 3G I bought and fixed off of a friend. However I am a VZW customer and do not have an AT&T phone plan. If I were to transfer my number over and start a new contract, would I be able to save my upgrade allowing me to get the iPhone 4TH Gen subsidized?

Or should I just wait it out, and start up the new contract then?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Call up AT&T and ask them if you can bring your own device (iPhone) and port your number from verizon without signing a 2 year agreement. This way when the new one comes out you'd be out of contract and eligible for a full upgrade.
Maybe try going into an AT&T store in person.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Don't take anyones guess. Like I said talk to AT&T directly.
It doesn't go by subsidy but by contract.
If your under contract you have to wait 18 months to renew and get another subsidy on your account.
Sometimes AT&T will tie you up to a contract by just opening up an account and just giving you a simcard but no phone. I saw it happen before to a relative.

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
If your under contract you have to wait 18 months to renew and get another subsidy on your account.
Sometimes AT&T will tie you up to a contract by just opening up an account and just giving you a simcard but no phone. I saw it happen before to a relative.

I called but the rep had no idea what I was talking about, tried explaining it to her 2-3 times and she kept stumbling on words and wasn't sure. Guess I'll take a trip down to AT&T sometime this week.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
If anything just unlock it go to T-mobile on a pre-paid plan (I think) and when the new iPhone comes out make the switch.

joebobthehob

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Start service with no contract. Then at any time you can get a new phone if you're willing to sign a contract.

Believe me, AT&T won't give you any trouble over doing the upgrade. They want you under that contract. You just have to be absolutely sure that the initial service gets set up without a contract.

cjrulli

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
Start service with no contract. Then at any time you can get a new phone if you're willing to sign a contract.

Believe me, AT&T won't give you any trouble over doing the upgrade. They want you under that contract. You just have to be absolutely sure that the initial service gets set up without a contract.

Is it possible to start service without a contract?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL

I opened an account with 3 lines. The 3rd line used an exisiting unlocked phone. 7 months later I was able to add a subsidized phone with no problem. A NEW single line account may be different but if you ADD a line you can "bank" your subsidized phone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I opened an account with 3 lines. The 3rd line used an exisiting unlocked phone. 7 months later I was able to add a subsidized phone with no problem. A NEW single line account may be different but if you ADD a line you can "bank" your subsidized phone.

Cool, gotta make sure he sets up everything correctly at the beggining I guess. Dont leave it up to AT&T to do you any favors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.