Can I screw up my MacBook with this terminal command?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HarryKeogh, May 28, 2010.

1. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Just bought a new MacBook Pro yesterday and I'm having trouble getting Time Machine to work with my NAS (WD My Book World Edition which supposedly supports Time Machine after their last firmware update). Time Machine sees it and starts writing to it but then stops recognizing the external NAS drive even though it's still connected to the network and I can access it and its files through the Finder.

So I did some Googling and came across this article and this command line...

I'm a little wary about messing around with my brand new machine but does anyone see any potential problems or knows of an easier way to get Time Machine to see my NAS?

Thanks!

2. landscapeman macrumors regular

First off, Have you formatted your drive section to mac journaled?

3. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I haven't. I bought the drive, transferred my iTunes and iPhoto libraries to it (and could access them with the MacBook with no problems) but I had no idea I had to format the drive in order for Time Machine to work.

Not sure where to begin with that. Can I trouble you to tell me how to get started with that or is this something that's common and I could just Google and get the info (I'm not looking for you to do my homework for me!)

Thanks for any direction you could give me.

4. landscapeman macrumors regular

You need to go to Disk Utility in your finder and then format. I have several drives that I have for Mac/Linux/Windows and I have only seen Mac journaled work with time machine. But if you have windows you will need to have a ntfs section for windows to read. So partition accordingly.

5. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Excellent. Much appreciated. I will give this a go tonight when I get home from work.

One last question. My wife's PC and my PS3 also access the media I put on the NAS. So I'm assuming I could format just a portion of the 1TB NAS for Time Machine and it won't screw up the PC and PS3 from accessing the media already on it?

6. landscapeman macrumors regular

7. landscapeman macrumors regular

Correct. I have a setup similar to yours that I have my PCs and PS3 connect to a NAS. Good Luck

8. HarryKeogh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks so much for clearing this up for me. And that video was very helpful!

9. shaymanjohn macrumors newbie

10. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I am pretty sure thats what I did to get my girlfriends TM to use my shared drives. So I don't think so. :)