can I search (Apple+F) by file name only?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rassoodock, Dec 17, 2007.

1. rassoodock macrumors member

Everytime I search for a file (Apple+F), I get many results that are archived Eurdora email folders. I'm guessing this search has the ability to scan the text within the emails in the folders. Is there a way to search by "file name" only and eliminate all the extra results I get? I see that there are plenty of search options available, but there doesn't appear to be one to search by "file name" only. Any help most appreciated? Thanks, Michael

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Are you searching in Finder?

When I hit Apple+F in Finger I get the choice to search Contents or File Name

4. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you press other it will bring up another window. In that search window type "filename" and select the checkbox "in menu" (this will save you from doing this step in the future).

Then Filename will appear in the list of options.

There are many many different options you can add through this method.

5. rassoodock thread starter macrumors member

Yikes! I wonder if I am running an different version of OSX than you are. My finder window has no option to search by file name that I can see and when I click on "others", it only opens up a clickbox list of other available volumes to add, but no place for additional options.

Here is a screen shot of my finder window plus the "about this Mac" window to show what I'm running:

[​IMG]

I must be missing something. Help!