Can I search Messages by name?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by sakau2007, Sep 23, 2014.

1. sakau2007 macrumors 6502

It seems to only search the content of the message. Wouldn't it make sense to also search the names of the people the messages are being exchanged with? Is there a way to turn this in that I'm missing?

Using iOS 8 on a 6+

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

You can and always have been able to

However after you have restored your iphone 6 from a previous backup it would seem you have to create a new message to a user before it will search for their name.

4. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

regardless of if it was in iOS7 or earlier, this should be included.

would it not stand to reason that if in the messages search bar if i type "Michael" that it would return not just the conversations where the word Michael has been said, but also conversations with people named Michael?

is it just me or does this just seem too obvious?

----------

This is weird, but true. When I search for people who I've had an active conversation with over the last couple days they turn up in the results. However, if the conversation has been dormant since prior to my new phone arriving, it does not show up.

This seems like a bug; There is no way this could be considered desirable behavior.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

I just tried it in iOS 8. I was able to search by first, middle, or last name. Not sure why you are having trouble with this

6. sakau2007 thread starter macrumors 6502

did you try searching a name or a word in a message from before your most recent restore (if you have a new phone, try searching a message/person from before you got the phone).

i'm having problems doing that.