Can I select which iOS version to update?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Chis2busy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Chis2busy macrumors member

Hey guys!
    I will , within this week get an iphone 5..knowing that they already ship with 6.0 or 6.1 ios, i want to JB them.

Is there any way to get them to 6.1.2 instead of the current 6.1.3 (which cannot and will not be jailbroken) ?

I know there are sites from which i can download the full ios package for my specific device, but is there a way to install that one? (because if i do simple restore from itunes,it will get me to 6.1.3)

Thanks in advance macrumor members !

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You can find the ipsw file to download, only problem is that they still have to be signing 6.1.2 at the time for it to be possible. They may still be signing it then or they may have already stopped. Search the forum on where to download iphone firmware (should be quite a few posts on it) and keep checking around the forum to see if apple is still signing 6.1.2. If they are, you're in luck :) if not you're stuck with whatever it comes on or 6.1.3

3. Chis2busy thread starter macrumors member

Ok , that may sound encouraging..but how can i tell if an ipsw is signed or not?

getting it from here, would be signed or not?
    http://www.idownloadblog.com/download/

4. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

No, it is signed when you are in the restore process. Your computer will communicate with Apple servers, and Apple will sign it then and there, and then your restore process will continue until it's done.

Unfortunately, from the posts in other threads, it looks like Apple has stopped signing 6.1.2 and under. So if you are going to restore or update, 6.1.3 seems to be your only option, which is currently not jailbreakable.

5. Chis2busy thread starter macrumors member

Ok so i bought the phone and it was on 6.0.2 ..now the current ios version is 6.1.3 ...is there absolutely no way to get to 6.1.2 ?

This ios version seems to have touch sensitivity issues on keyboard typing on the letters on the edges of the phone (q,p, erase button).

6. alexander25 macrumors regular

How many times do you need someone to tell you it's not possible? Jeeze man

7. lazard macrumors 65816

Nope. Welcome to the world of Apple.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, there is no way to currently get your i5 to 6.1.2
    Only options are to stay at 6.0.2 or go up to the latest 6.1.3
    But 6.0.2 is fine.

9. ineedamac macrumors 6502

iPhone 4?

My wife has an iPhone 4 and it is very slow on iOS 6.1.2. Can I get her back to iOS 5.x? If yes, how do I do that? Just find the Ipswich file?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope.
    Only way if you have saved shsh blobs for that particular i4 back in the day when 5.1 was still signed by Apple.
    If you don't know what that means then short answer is you cannot do it.

11. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I figured as much. Might just be time for her to upgrade to the iPhone 5.

12. Chis2busy thread starter macrumors member

Wow, so i am now for a while on 6.0.2 and no jb (will jb in near future) and i am just stunned...how the hell did they release that to the public???
    wifi issues,
    -mobile data drain (huge) issues while on wifi(sleep),
    -serious battery drains (i see 2 hours usage on 93% from 100% without using --phone even 1 second since unplugging it)
    -icloud outtages and whatnot

Is it worth it staying with 6.0.2 to have jb?or should i move to 6.1.3 ...are there any jb fixes?because so far 6.0.2 is pre-alpha release in stability terms..

13. sagar4995 macrumors 6502a

sagar4995

just my experience. i had no issues at all with any of the ios versions.
    i'd say stick to 6.0 and jailbreak away! :)

14. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Yes, 6 had a few problems, but that's why they updated it. You can't blame Apple if you're choosing not to use the fixes they released.

15. Chis2busy thread starter macrumors member

well...i actually can.. 6.1 came about february to fix those issues..so it means people from way back octomber have been on beta os phones..and to my understanding 6.1.3 has huge battery drain issues (few thousand posts about it, here and on their official forum).some serious catching up is needed..

16. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

There are no perfect iOS or Android releases, that's why they keep updating.

:rolleyes:

Just restore to 6.1.3 and be done with it. Then you can complain about the battery life until 6.1.4 or iOS 7.

17. Chis2busy thread starter macrumors member

Yeah you are right there..although 5.1.1 was about as perfect a release as it gets for ios..but it was the same with my 4s on 5.0->5.1 ..oh well.. you are probably right.i am gonna go to 6.1.3 and hope most of the buggs are gone..btw did they up and again remove the 3g toggle in 6.1.3 ?

18. CTHarrryH macrumors 65816

Thousands - haven't read that - can't recall too many threads with a few thousand posts). Most that I've read have resolved with a restore - it is usally something other than the direct IOS (there have been issues with one release in the past)

I'd guess that fewer than .01$% of the millions of devices on IOS 6.1.3 have serious battery drain issues that aren't attributable to someother cause.

19. mandala macrumors newbie

mandala

Looking to Update

Hi to all first post here.
    I have a iphone 3gs JB with an iOS 5.1.1 ( I have used the ifaith to keep the SHSH and tinyumbrella). Its getting slow so I want to either upgrade or restore staying on the same iOS.

If I decide upgrade to 6.X but rather not not use the 6.1.3 so I can use an untethered JB.

How can I uprgade to 6.X and then JB it ? :eek:

Thanks

20. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Open cydia and click TSS center, which iOS versions of SHSH does it show you have?

Once you update to iOS 6. If it's 6.0-6.1.2, use evasi0n to untether jailbreak. If its 6.1.3, use redsn0w to tether jailbreak (point it to a 6.0 ipsw)

21. mandala, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

mandala macrumors newbie

mandala

It says that

SHSH: iOS 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2.1r1, 4.3.3, 4.3.5, 5.0.1, 5.1, 5.1.1, 6.1.3

Sorry to ask again it was not clear on your response, Once I update to 6 ... but how do I do it? will evasion update it and then JB it ?

Thank you.

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Since you do not have any iOS6 SHSH other than 6.1.3 - which is current firmware - you cannot go to any other iOS6 firmware

You use iTunes to update, but you can only get a tethered jailbreak from Redsn0w (unless your 3GS is old bootrom - Google for the explanation of this)