Carrier Can I sell a device I am still paying for on NEXT?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dynalmadman, Dec 11, 2014.

1. dynalmadman macrumors member

Hi guys,

Bought the wife and I the Note 3s about 4 months ago, paying for them on the NEXT program with ATT.

Buyers regret and all that, we outright bought ourselves the IP6 and are happy to be back on IOS.

My question is whether or not I can sell the Notes while they are still on the NEXT payment program? Or do I need to go to ATT and pay them off so that ATT will 'release' the devices?

Thanks
    Michael

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I'm pretty sure that you have to pay the devices off in full before you can sell them.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

You can sell them when ever you want. But if you fail to finish what ever contract obligations they will deactivate if they can

4. 617aircav Suspended

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you can if you want to, but you'll still be paying monthly for the next plan

just make sure you get a decent amount for them, i'd put that towards your account to pay off the next plan if you can

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You might get more if the Notes are unlocked. AT&T won't unlock them unless you paid off the phones. If you have the money available, you might as well pay them off ... maybe you can get $50 more in selling the Notes.

Hmmm, I just thought about this. Are Androids easier to unlock? If so, you may not get anything extra for having them unlocked. If that's the case, you may as well hold your money and pay the NEXT installments each month.

7. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

You can sell them and still pay for them every month. AT&T won't unlock until they're paid off but there are plenty of unlocking services that can take care of that.

The problem is you're probably not going to get anywhere close to what you owe on them. Assuming you're paying the full $649 price and paying it off at about $30/mo, you'll still owe probably more than $500 on each one. They're going for around $300 on swappa.

AT&T won't take a partial payment on the device to accelerate payments I've learned. You'd probably be able to pay off one of the devices at least.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

You can, but it is hard to do. I know I would never buy a phone on EIP unless it was from a friend. If you stop paying the buyer is screwed.

If you read the swappa terms and conditions, they do not allow selling of phones on EIP

9. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

Not sure why that would be....He should be able to sell it anytime. He will still have the bill though and it will remain locked to AT&T until paid off at least.

I am 99.99% sure OP can sell it, just know that he still owes AT&T money for the phone....which he can pay off with the money he sells it for. You can pay off phone anytime. Don't have to do the payments over time.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Technically its his, but he's agreed to pay for the phone in installments and failing to do so, will blacklist the phone.

11. 617aircav Suspended

His questions was can he sell it. He can. Why would he stop paying, he never mentioned that and he knows he will keep getting a bill, plus he would ruin his credit if he stopped paying.