Can I sell Mountain Lion OS?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigmac2011, Apr 6, 2015.

1. bigmac2011 macrumors newbie

Hi I bought OSX Mountain Lion when it was available at itunes stor, but I never used it. Can I sell this or how does it work?

2. resale macrumors newbie

No, not only was it download only, but it was free. So trying to sell a free, almost unsupported OS probably isn't worth the time trying.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Mountain Lion was never free, other than coming installed on new Macs for about a year, and perhaps a free update at changeover (Lion installed, with the new Mountain Lion a free upgrade ?)

Anyway, it still sells for the same $20 at the Apple web store.
    The "purchase" is to get you a redemption code to download ML in the App Store.
    I expect that redemption code will ONLY work for your own AppleID account, and for that reason, probably not transferable to anyone.
    You don't have a legal way to sell the license to someone else.
    And, if Mountain Lion is in your Purchases in App Store, you can always download it at no further charge.

4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

No - the purchase is tied to your Apple ID only.

5. bigmac2011 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I paid $20 I think. Ok I see.

Thanks for helping:) Appreciate it!

6. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Actually, Apple no longer sells Mountain Lion at all. Only if you bought Mountain Lion can you still download it for recovery purposes. Now, Apple still sells Lion because some machines will only go up to Lion, but if your machine can run Mountain Lion, it can run Yosemite (same System Reqs).

Edit: Nevermind, just looked and found out I was wrong. My bad.