Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Just updated from CS3 to CS5 with upgrade disks.

Can I sell my CS3 disks or do those activations count toward my CS5 activation?

Links to official sources would be extra helpful.

Thanks all.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
Just updated from CS3 to CS5 with upgrade disks.

Can I sell my CS3 disks or do those activations count toward my CS5 activation?

Links to official sources would be extra helpful.

Thanks all.

I'm sure you don't own the original, you only own a license. You can't sell what isn't yours to begin with. I don't have sources but this is the way most software works nowadays. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's adobe's link

The problem of selling CS3 is you then don't have any legal right to CS3 and what happens if you need to reinstall CS5.

Apple OC

macrumors 68040
Oct 14, 2010
Hogtown
the old CS3 discs should not be resold - you agree to those terms when you installed them on your computer

cdinca

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Here's adobe's link

The problem of selling CS3 is you then don't have any legal right to CS3 and what happens if you need to reinstall CS5.

Thank you very much. I actually did search for that:)

Good point on the reinstall. I am going to run some tests on trying to upgrade over an improperly installed cs3.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
CS5 License

you might want to check the CS5 license... not just the CS3. Yes you can sell your license to a product you bought (CS3) if you wipe it off your computer.. but by upgrading it, you are building off it and therefore the CS3 license to your computer is still in effect, and my guess is the CS5 license will have language to that effect.

my guess is you are not just selling disks but a serial number... and that you are retaining for CS5 to work. So yeah, I don't think what you are proposing is in the spirit of the licenses.

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
... and what happens if you need to reinstall CS5.

You do not need the older versions to install the latest upgrade. The dirty little secret is that upgrade disks include the full version. I switched to Mac earlier this year and switched licenses and Adobe sent me the CS4 upgrade disk for mac and it installed, without a previous version just fine. a few years ago when when I first moved from Elements to CS2 I bought the upgrade disk only and it worked fine. The catch back then, and Adobe got wise to it, was that you only needed to be a registered user of Photoshop, any version, to get it to work. So I purchased Photoshop 3 on floppy disks on ebay, registered it on their website but never installed it. Then I installed the CS2 upgrade disk and called Adobe for a key to get it to work. Now you need to be a registered user of one version back. So if you have CS3 you can upgrade to CS5 but if you are using CS2 then you are SOL. So one can upgrade every other version without a problem but never need to have the previous version installed on the same computer.

Getting back to the original question, I would not try to sell your CS3 disk. It can be somewhat useless for upgrades and more important, the RAW converters will not be able to work with newer cameras - this forces pro photographers into getting the latest version if they have the latest DSLR's

phyllismc

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
After a bit of google searching, I am thrilled to find this information, and just want to make sure I completely understand before I act.

I have a photographer friend who has always used film, and is just now switching to digital. I keep telling her, "you HAVE to have photoshop".
But it's not something she can afford right now, so since I upgraded to CS5 for Christmas, I've been thinking of giving her my old CS3.

I just want to make absolutely sure there won't be an issue with the licenses or with my re-installing CS5 without the original CS3 discs, if I should ever have to.
If I understand your answers, I should not have a problem.

But I want to make certain I'm not missing something before I do it.
Thanks in advance for any clarifications. :)

(These are pc versions, btw.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.