Can I sell my stock RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BrenMyster, Aug 26, 2010.

1. BrenMyster macrumors member

hey

I have a spare stick of 1gb RAM from my new 3.33 MP I was wondering if it was a good idea to sell it?

Someone said that it will make the warrantee invalid if I don't keep the stock RAM

2. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

The Mac Pro are promoted as the ones where you can change all the parts by yourself. And this on Apple's website.

So I don't think so for a Mac Pro, though this might be true for the other mac.

3. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Technically you can sell it, although if you have issues with your computer further down the track generally Apple advises you restore the original RAM just to make sure it's not the replacements that are causing the problem. Also if it needs to be exchanged at any point, under warranty, then I believe the computer is supposed to be handed in with all it's original components.

4. mattmower macrumors member

mattmower

Most of us getting at least 3 of these whether we want them or not. I can't imagine too many people will bite your hand off for one.

And I'd imagine that if you ever need to get the machine serviced Apple will expect it to contain only Apple approved RAM and not 3rd party RAM. Unless you're desperate for $20 I'd keep it in a drawer somewhere.

Matt.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Do Not Sell. If you ever need to send in your machine for repair you will want to reinstall them. Apple does not guarantee return of any enhancements not factory installed.

6. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

Aside from the foibles of Apple should you need to return it, I seen no reason why you can't sell it on. There are many PC and older Mac Pro owners that could use this memory.