Can I send emails to all in Address contact group

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Dec 31, 2009.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

I would like to set up a single/separate contact group in Address book with 4 email addresses. I want to send a copy of attachments in 1 email to all 4 addresses at the same time, by typing in only the contact group.
    I know I can do this by creating 4 different contacts in that contact group, BUT can I set it up so I have only 1 contact in that group with the 4 email addresses listed in that 1 contact and have the attachments sent to all 4 emails without having to create 4 separate and distinct addresses.
    Does that make any sense??

I want to use these addresses to function as "flash drives" to save attachments.

Thanks.
    Frank

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Address Book/Apple Mail is not a group mailing program. I don't think it is possible to do exactly what you want.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I think you are right.

I was able to establish 4 separate contacts under the contact group and type in the name of the contact group which then instantly brought up the emails of all 4 of those contacts. So it's kinda do-able.

Thanks.

Frank

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah I should have mentioned you could do that; I thought you were looking for an actual mailing list type thing. Glad it worked out for you.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can also use the Address button in Mail to find the group and just select it and choose "To"

6. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

This morning, I just started typing the Contact Group Name in the TO line, got 2 letters in the address box and the entire group came up, hit Return and it popped ALL the emails in the TO line instantly. Actually faster than in Gmail.
    Very nice!!!

Frank

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad that you got it to work.

I use distro lists with Contacts/Mail all the time. Works great!

8. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

I was JUST on the Mobile Me site to see if it would work there.
    I have a PC at the office and usually do this via Gmail. It would be fun.. if nothing else to use it from the Mobile Me (MM) web site. I can see that the Contact Group I created is there under MM Address book, but it doesn't seem to come up when I hit "address book" under Compose New Message. That address book looks like a hodge podge of really old non-updated addresses.
    Thoughts??
    Guess I could bring my MBP to the office too, but it's a 15" and carrying 2 notebooks is a bit redundant. Told my wife I need to get a Mac Book Air for the office. She smiled and went to the Kate Spade web site.... hummm, I better think about this more <bg>.
    Frank

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

So if you have to do this at the office, and don't have your laptop with you, Gmail webmail access works okay.

It seems that Gmail's distro list function has a limit on the number of characters. So I just break down my distro list into sublists. You'll have to experiment to see what works for you. My distro lists usually have 7-10 folks.

So if I had a Skydiver's Club that had 20 members, I might break it down into 3 lists such as:

Skydive-A
    Skydive-B
    Skydive-C

Then when I address my message, I can type sky and the lists will show and they are easy to select. In the case above, I would need to select three times. A little bit of a pain, but not bad.

YMMV.