Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
A search via Google should turn up multiple references to the issue. Here's one to get you started:

http://texyt.com/bright+blue+leds+annoyance+health+risks
Thanks, I couldn't find anything. Those pinpoint LEDs are hardly similar to backlighting a display. I believe my searches included "backlight" or "display", so did not turn up this kind of link. I have several LEDs covered with tape in my electronics world because they are annoying, so I agree. But not an issue for screens.

Calibration issues are not a concern, as long as correct calibration is possible. Certainly not a health issue.

But the flicker bears some further study. Thanks.

To others:
My research (over years) agrees with Mojo1 on the height issue. For the close position of a monitor at the average desk, the best position is to have your eyes at about the top of the screen. The rules of thirds are more for a greater distance, like most TV viewing, when your head will likely move more and often be laid back more. The top of the monitor I'm currently staring at is about 1-2" below my eyes. Works very well for ergonomics.

Keep in mind that display size can become part of this. The difference between top and 1/3 down on a 17" monitor is barely noticeable, even at 2' sitting distance. Moving your eyes can compensate for that. It's moving/holding your neck in the wrong way that is a problem.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Unless you wear bifocals and have to tip your head up to read the monitor to begin with. Having the monitor too high leads to neck pain....I know...I bought the VESA adapter and an Ergotron heavy duty stand to mount my 24" iMac on (had to be heavy duty to hold the added weight of the iMac over a "normal" 24" monitor). Why Apple won't make a height adjustable stand for iMacs and monitors is beyond me.

I use regular reading glasses that have been set-up for using with computer displays. Specifically, the prescription distance is farther away than it would be for glasses used for reading.

My computer desk and chair are typical: there is a keyboard and input device shelf that is slightly below the desktop. To make it work with my 24" iMac my chair is raised as high as it will go, which fortunately still allows my knees to fit under the shelf. If I raised it any higher my knees would not go under the shelf. My keyboard and trackball are raised on books to compensate for my chair height.

Even so, my eyes are still slightly below the top third of the display. To make it workable I must lower windows on the display so they appear in the lower half of the screen.

When I looked at the specifications of various computer furniture such as the pricey Anthro and Biomorph lines, I could not determine any advantage to switching to them. Computer furniture is constrained by the current state of the human body; perhaps if we wait a million years or so evolutionary forces will alter humanity so that our torso and necks are longer so this will no longer be a problem.

Enter my NEC display with its vertical adjustment option. I can raise or lower the display with one hand; if I switch from a chair to a kneeling chair it takes a couple of seconds to adjust the display. When my 5'4.5" wife uses the display she can lower it to suit her height. The display can also be tilted, which is not a critical adjustment in my experience except when showing something to a person who is standing beside me.

The NEC display is actually quite substantial. It weighs about as much as my iMac, which surprised me. (Someone told me that it essentially has a computer of its own to allow for the extensive calibration tweaking that is accessed via its front panel and built-in menu options.) But the stand is sturdy and the displays stays put. There is a detachable cover that hides cables connected to the rear of the display.

It is also anti-glare. While it isn't quite as "fine grained" in appearance as my Apple matte displays, I quickly became accustomed to it and I stopped noticing it within an hour or so after I started using it. I have worked on glassy Apple displays and the NEC does a better job of showing shadow detail, which is an important distinction when working with digital images (I'm a pro photographer with over 30 years of experience). Glossy LED displays tend to compress the dynamic range so that shadow areas appear darker. Images are more vibrant for lack of a better term and that impresses many people, but it isn't very helpful when you are trying to accurately assess an image during the editing process.

It would be a simple thing to add height adjustment to iMacs and Apple displays. Why Apple has chosen to ignore this most basic ergonomic function is beyond me.

BTW, here is a long discussion on the Hard Forum about LED backlighting that includes links to additional articles: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1528230

Last edited:

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
This is what I mean:

Attachments

• eyes.jpg
    eyes.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 100

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011

Attachments

• components_distance.jpg
    components_distance.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 626
  • Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 625
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Dude, just do whatever the hell you want to. You obviously don't care one way or another what anyone else has to say.

If you've convinced that heat, ergonomics and stress on the Mac mini won't be an issue then why did you even bother asking? And since you did ask, and people have responded with concerns about heat, ergonomics, and stress on your Mac mini, why are you being such a dick about it?

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
View attachment 322015

I'm using this set up for my monitor and MacMini. It just fits underneath

Edited: Made a few mistakes in uploading a picture at first but Mojo1 assisted me. Sorry guys

Last edited:

MrSEC

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2008
OP I don't think you'll have any problems with the stand as long as you're hardwired in. If it looks like it doesn't have the strength to hold the monitor up just remove it,or mod it to make it stronger.It's not a big deal...the stand isn't just going to collapse onto the mini.You will need to keep an eye on it the first couple of days to make sure it's not flexing down onto the mini.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
Dude, just do whatever the hell you want to. You obviously don't care one way or another what anyone else has to say.

If you've convinced that heat, ergonomics and stress on the Mac mini won't be an issue then why did you even bother asking? And since you did ask, and people have responded with concerns about heat, ergonomics, and stress on your Mac mini, why are you being such a dick about it?

I have the impression that the OP has abandoned this thread since he hasn't replied since 1/26 but he started a thread about his new MacMini on 1/27...

Oh Well, at least other people will hopefully find some useful tips in this thread. I think that the ergonomic considerations are important since I rarely see it addressed in the Macrumors forums.

I have the impression that many forum participants are relatively young, so worrying about the wear-and tear on your body isn't a big concern. But seeing as how I am 57, I've gained experience over the years about how important it is too take the long-view when considering things that can affect your health.

You can get away with a lot when you are younger, but as you age bad habits tend to catch up with you... If you can get into the habit of taking reasonable precautions when you are younger you can avoid developing problems as you get older. (Key areas are eating/exercise, ergonomics and money.) When I developed a serious back problem around six years ago I had to make some changes in how I work with computers and carry stuff on a day-to-day basis and while traveling. If I had been a little smarter earlier-on I probably wouldn't have experienced the back problems in the first place.

For the most point I have overcome my back pain, but it entailed expensive health care and a lot of suffering in the process. I'd like to see other people avoid what I went through...

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
It doesn't work for me either; I get a 403 error message.

Why don't you just attach the image to your post using the built-in forum function? It's below the "Reply to Thread" field under "Attach Files." Click "Manage Attachments," select the file and upload load. The image will appear at the bottom of your post.

MrSEC

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2008
I have the impression that the OP has abandoned this thread since he hasn't replied since 1/26 but he started a thread about his new MacMini on 1/27...

Oh Well, at least other people will hopefully find some useful tips in this thread. I think that the ergonomic considerations are important since I rarely see it addressed in the Macrumors forums.

I have the impression that many forum participants are relatively young, so worrying about the wear-and tear on your body isn't a big concern. But seeing as how I am 57, I've gained experience over the years about how important it is too take the long-view when considering things that can affect your health.

You can get away with a lot when you are younger, but as you age bad habits tend to catch up with you... If you can get into the habit of taking reasonable precautions when you are younger you can avoid developing problems as you get older. (Key areas are eating/exercise, ergonomics and money.) When I developed a serious back problem around six years ago I had to make some changes in how I work with computers and carry stuff on a day-to-day basis and while traveling. If I had been a little smarter earlier-on I probably wouldn't have experienced the back problems in the first place.

For the most point I have overcome my back pain, but it entailed expensive health care and a lot of suffering in the process. I'd like to see other people avoid what I went through...

I hear you loud and clear. I'm 43 yrs old and I've had disc replacement surgery.Man when I was young I could get by with anything,now I'm paying the price. A good chair and keeping good posture is very important.

----------

How is this ? Hope is shows this time

View attachment 322011

And thank you. Didn't know about that one

That looks nice and sturdy,but I wish it where taller.

MrSEC

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2008
Agree with the height, but it at least fits, and has a nice look to it.

Yes,it looks a lot better than the other stand for sure. That one *looks *like it was milled with a CNC machine,the other is just a sheet of metal that has been formed with a press.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Wouldn't the extra pressure on the Mac Mini mean there is less space inside the Mac Mini for the heat to stay in there? Also since the components are being compressed the electrons would have less distance to travel meaning it would be faster.

Adamantoise

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011

Lol, don't worry about it, a lot of people behave that way.

Basically, they ask for opinions on what they should do (even though they've already made up their mind), just hoping that people will agree with them that the decision they are about to take is a good one.

It's very stupid in my opinion, but what can you do.

MrSEC

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2008
Considering the mini rests on a circular piece of plastic, I would never place a 30 lb. piece of machinery on it.

It's not as strong as you might think.

http://www.apple.com/macmini/design.html

The display doesn't sit on the Mini itself,it sits on a metal stand that goes over the Mini.

The worst case you sit the monitor on the stand and it flexes down so far it touches the top of the mini and you remove it...that's it.If it doesn't it do that when he first puts the display on the stand then it won't ever do it unless he leans on the display or something accidental happens.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
The display doesn't sit on the Mini itself,it sits on a metal stand that goes over the Mini.

The worst case you sit the monitor on the stand and it flexes down so far it touches the top of the mini and you remove it...that's it.If it doesn't it do that when he first puts the display on the stand then it won't ever do it unless he leans on the display or something accidental happens.

I think the previous poster was responding to the OP who wants to put the display directly on his mini...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.