Can I set up a priority user on AirPort Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by omerbaker, Jun 14, 2014.

1. omerbaker macrumors member

I've got 2 airport extremes running in the house for what I thought was the fastest speeds. But I've 2 daughters watching netflix on 2 different iPads and my ipad seems slooooow, I'll actually turn my wifi off and use LTE just to speed up my connection. Is there a way to have priority with a certain device? Please help. Thanks

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Maybe it is your internet speed ... with all that simultaneous usage you may have to purchase a higher bandwidth speed package from your internet provider. The "Basic Plan" many providers provide to entice you with the low price can be pretty slow.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Do you live in a home where one Extreme is not enough? Back when I had my 5th generation (Pizza Box Style) it was enough to cover my home and it was on the second floor. I got signal in the basement! My house is about 2700 Sq. Ft. so even the older Extremes are powerful. That being said, if you have it doing a wireless extension in a home that doesn't need it, then you are only causing problems rather than good.

4. campyguy macrumors 68040

I had and fixed that same "issue" by creating and connecting to the 5GHz network. EVERYBODY in my business park uses 2.4GHz for wifi and I noticed some days are worse than others for network speed - then I switch to the 5GHz network on my Extremes and all is good. When my Macs slow down, it's always that they've switched back to 2.4 for some reason. And, agreed that sometimes my iPad works better with LTE than when on the 2.4GHz network.

I named my 2.4GHz network "Fast" and my 5GHz network "Really Fast". Try something like that…