Can I setup tags to automatically tag each file within a given folder ?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by comics addict, Jan 13, 2014.

1. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I am a college student who finds the use of tags a fantastic resource for managing files from every class that I take. My current setup is that I name a tag after each course but the problem comes because I organise all the files for any given specific course in a folder for easier management. So far I have not found (if it's at all possible) a way of making tags tag the files in a folder and not necessarily the folder itself since it wounds up being redundant in a way in how finder displays tag items. Has anyone found a way to do so? Thanks for your time regardless. :)

2. Nordicexpat macrumors newbie

I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. Is the question about how to automate the process? I use Hazel for that purpose. I create a rule that automatically tags all the files within a folder with whatever tag is appropriate. It's a pretty straightforward process.

Just a suggestion: I also name my files in a way that makes it easy to find by name in addition to tag (say, if you want to send it to someone else). I give each class a short name and put an X at the end of it (e.g., ling101x), then set up a Hazel rule that prefaces each file within the folder with that prefix (so that a typical file name might be something like "ling101x - lecture - introduction to course").

3. comics addict, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014

comics addict thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes something like that. Personally I would find your suggestive naming convention to be quite confusing for me :p since I am the kind of person that prefer file names to be as precise and informative as possible for important files.

Anyway I am fairly organise myself to think that maybe Hazel is overkill for my needs (even though it seems to be a pretty neat app ;) ) Could it be possible using any of OS X's built-in tools?